Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since salt is a major contributor to rust in cars, I'm putting together a map of States that use road salt. I thought it would be helpful for those buying a used car out of state. I've got useful information for most states, but I'm not sure about some of you guys.

Here is what I have so far. If it is RED, your state uses salt on the roads. If I show it red, but you know your state switched away from salt let me know. If it is white but you know for a fact they use salt in your state speak up!

Attachments

·
Administrator
30,099 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know CA used salt. Maybe in the Sierras they do... around here they only use those red lava rocks.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
CO uses mag chloride (liquid form) and boulders (they call it "sand"), as evidenced by all the cracked windshields. :wink: I guess mag chloride is technically salt, but not in the sense that other states use granular salt.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
MD uses a salt mixture (depending on the area. My neighborhood and small communities use a sand/salt mixture). If you are unfortunate enough to drive by a truck spraying the stuff going the other way, you can FEEL it hit your car like driving through a brush-type carwash.

It sucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Living in a salt state (MO), and travelling a lot to a grit state (CO), I prefer the salt if you have an otherwise-well-maintained vehicle. Lets just say that I never had over $4000 in paint and body damage done by driving 150 miles in salt.

I got my front end (bumper, fenders, hood, windshield, and roof) blasted driving back from CO over T-giving in the span of about 2 hours...

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
PA uses a mix - combination of cinders, sand, salt, and calicum cloride, sometime they spray some sort of liquid too. Some of roads / trucks have new equipment that measures how cold the roads are and PENNDOT is able to figure out which combination to use.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Most areas surrounding reservoirs & the streams that feed them no longer use salt.
I think that's an EPA regulation.

Hmmm.... looks like Florida's not a problem. :N_poke: :biggrin:

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of states use a salt/sand mix and some states only use salt in a small area (CA-Sierras), but if any salt is used in any part of it I included it as a salt user. I'd like to find a breakdown of exactly which roads salt is used on but that info is tough to come by. Maybe I'll write the DOT of each Northern state to see if that info in available.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CO uses mag chloride (liquid form) and boulders (they call it "sand"), as evidenced by all the cracked windshields. :wink: I guess mag chloride is technically salt, but not in the sense that other states use granular salt.
They use similar stuff here is WA.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
12,516 Posts
MD uses a salt mixture (depending on the area. My neighborhood and small communities use a sand/salt mixture). If you are unfortunate enough to drive by a truck spraying the stuff going the other way, you can FEEL it hit your car like driving through a brush-type carwash.

It sucks.

Yeah i've noticed a lot more sand/small gravel being used around here in MD

·
Registered
391 Posts
ohio uses salt for sure, and i'd assume the entire great lakes region would (since under the lakes is a MASSIVE salt deposit). around here they use a heavily salinity fluid on the road, but rock salt is everywhere (especially in parking lots).

northeast ohio has a lot of rust.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The liquid de-ice that they use here in WA is much less corrosive than the salt that they used when I lived in MI at least on steel. In MI it was typical to see newish cars rusting through the panels in short order. It was easy to see what cars had poorly designed or easily plugged water channels etc. I remember seeing lots and lots of ford explorers rusted bad after a few years :(

The De Ice is corrosive on aluminum however. Wheels do get crappy so a winter set is best. I have STI lat links and I hesitate to put them on due to this.

Also, the Seattle base transportation director or whatever his title is, wanted to start salting to save money for the department. He said my wife drives a Saturn which is all plastic. Idiot. He lives in Seattle which does not get much snow at all. So the eastern side of the state would take the hit. He saves money for his Dept. and we pay for it buying new cars. End of rant.

Well almost, Salt sucks. It is a crappy solution (no pun). Here cars last and look can look great for years.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
A state hwy dept spokesperson was on the news during a storm here last week commenting on the benefits of the sand/salt mixture they were putting on the roads, so put Arkansas in the salt column.

Although the frequency the salt is used wouldn't pose much danger to your car.

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
During the short time I've been on this forum it's been easy to spot vehicles from States using salt on the roads. Closeup pictures usually show rust on parts of the the engine & suspension. No amount of hosing will get off all the road salt that get blasted into everything & will resurface years later as hidden body rot.
My son's 95 Neon Sport started life in Washington State, as did MY03 Forester & there is no rust on the engine or body parts. I agree the sand is a pain, especially with those drivers that don't have the enough common sense not to change lanes where the sand is heavy (happened to me today on a hill!). Overall, I have some minor chips on the paint & windshield, but you can get the same type of damage during the summer.

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
34 Participants
2.5x_sleeper
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing