Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I am replacing a failed passenger inner CV boot on my '07 manual FXT.

The manual turbo Foresters have a special axle that is specific to this vehicle only (manual FXT).

In disassembling the inner joint, it appears there is no retention ring/clip to keep the assembly together. Typically on Subarus there is a clip that needs to be removed before pulling the axle out of the inner CV stub.

Does anyone know if what I have is missing something? There is nothing in place from keeping the inner CV from pulling right out of the casing. I understand that the axle wouldn't necessarily have tension on it in that way, but there is almost always some sort of retention clip or c clip in every axle I've ever rebuilt.

There doesn't appear to be any provisioning for a clip in the housing:

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

However, this green piece came out of the old boot, but doesn't appear it would hold anything in place.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 5MT
22 Posts
I did mine earlier this year (turbo/passenger side) and I dont recall any clips within the cup. The only clip I had to remove was one found at the end of the shaft which kept the rollers in place, which altogether goes into the cup.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did mine earlier this year (turbo/passenger side) and I dont recall any clips within the cup. The only clip I had to remove was one found at the end of the shaft which kept the rollers in place, which altogether goes into the cup.
Awesome, thank you- that's exactly what I needed to know. Most/all other Subaru axles have a clip in the cup that holds the joint in there so it threw me off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts