Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5 X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I recently purchased a 2008 model Forester 2.5 X and I have a couple of questions. It has about 39 000 miles (62 000 km) on the clock. Firstly, I noticed that first and second gear is considerably stiff when the vehicle is cold but loosens up as soon as running temperature is reached. Also, third gear seems a bit "softer" than all the other gears. Is this normal or do I have to ask the dealer to have a look at it with the next service?

Second, I reversed up a incline today and immediately noticed a burning odour which I can only guess to be the clutch that overheated a bit. I'm surprised by this since I didn't rev the engine that hard or for so long to cause burning in my opinion, again, is this something that I need to worry about? Gear changes are smooth and the clutch does not slip a all.

Lastly, this might be a dumb question but, is there a ballpark figure for how long the clutch on these vehicles can be expected to last? I know it depends on your driving style and all that but if anyone has some minimum and maximum figures, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
1) Change the trans fluid.

2) Probably need the hill-holder adjusted

3) Anywhere from zero to 120,000 miles or more

1 - 3 of 3 Posts