Registered
2006 Tribeca
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Good stuff Kevin!! Well done on putting something like this together.
Unfortunately I have family in town that wknd....but looking forward to pics!!

·
Registered
2006 Tribeca
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Less than two weeks ago, several storms dumped snow on Mammoth Mountain. According to some locals, they hadn't seen conditions like this since 2004.

We had been planning a trip for the end of January for months (see here). My excitement to try out my new snowboard and experience the conditions couldn't be contained. I found a way to leave work earlier in the week and a friend left earlier than the trip was scheduled to leave. This gave us time to explore a good meeting place on the mountain and find some decent places to eat, AND ski/snowboard in some great conditions.

Late Wednesday afternoon, we pulled out of the driveway in a 2009 Subaru Forester for the 300 mile drive from my house to Mammoth Mountain.

235 miles away from Mammoth, we noticed snow covering the local mountains halfway down to their base.

130 miles away from Mammoth, we noticed a few small random places where the snow had not yet melted on the side of the road.

For those who have never taken the drive from Southern California to Mammoth Mountain, the road increases slightly in elevation for ~80% of the way until you arrive in the town of Bishop. The road after Bishop is where the elevation noticeably changes as you approach Mammoth Lakes.

Bishop is the closest town from the south and its about 45 minutes from Mammoth Mountain. There were a lot of places where the snow on the ground had not yet melted. I don't recall seeing snow on the ground in Bishop in my past experiences. The town's low altitude translates into a daily average temperature that isn't below freezing, which means that any snow that fell in the town melts rather quickly. A lot of snow had fallen in the past two weeks and the average daily temperate wasn't high enough to melt all of the snow on the ground, but this apparently was a sign of things waiting for us.

Between Bishop and Mammoth, just about everything was blanketed white:

I couldn't believe the amount of snow on the ground in Mammoth. All I could hear it say was tell the "Enthusiasts to come to the snow!" (taken from my iphone) so I relayed the message via text, call, and posts on the Internet when AT&T's service worked, which was rare since we were in the equivalent of the Bermuda triangle where the phone's time and date are often incorrect and service/connectivity was less than poor.

We pulled in to grab some dinner and the snow in some places towered over the Forester (taken from my iphone):

Crystal clear skies and no wind made a trip to the 11,000 foot peak of Mammoth Mountain a must:

McCoy Station is a mid-mountain lodge that serves foods and drinks, but its also the last place to pick up the Gondola before reaching the highest peak seen in this picture on the left. Rather than taking the Gondola to the top, we rode over to Chair 23 and took it to the top of the peak seen furthest to the right in the picture below:

From the top of that peak, we looked down to find McCoy station way off in the distance. The mountain is just HUGE:

McCoy Station looks a bit more familiar when zoomed in:

The mountain didn't look this steep at the top when looking up from McCoy station, YIKES!

The 180+ degree panoramic view from the top of Mammoth Mountain was beautiful. The Sierras were covered in snow for hundreds of miles in every direction. These were taken from the top of Mammoth Mountain from right to left:

Ok, nature aside, how the heck do we ski and board down the mountain? I definitely didn't want to board from the top of Chair 23, but it looked like most people felt comfortable skiing and snowboarding from a level surface not far from where we were standing:

Even that was just as steep as the drop off from the top of Chair 23. The lower height made it slightly less intense and more doable. so we went down that run and started exploring all areas of the mountain, including the backside, which still had 2 feet of untouched powder in some places.

The weather and sheer amount of good snow made this one of the most enjoyable weekend's of skiing/snowboarding that I have ever experienced. I posted on the forum (in the few rare instances AT&T's service allowed it) and called Aaron to let Subaru enthusiasts know that the snow was definitely calling and anybody who missed this opportunity would regret it!

·
Registered
2006 Tribeca
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The parking lot began to show some life as Subaru owners from all across California started arriving Friday afternoon:

It snowed a few inches Friday night and Saturday morning:

There was a lot of people on the mountain on Saturday so between the traffic and the weather, which included some snow, wind, and lots of cloud cover, we had problems getting everybody together at the same place at the same time for a group photo, but a few of us did manage to meet up so we grabbed a quick shot together:

The snow was the best on Saturday of all days, but the weather was the worst until about noon when the wind dissipated, the clouds started to clear, and the sun's light made it possible to see the ground clearly even with dark goggles on. With 2.5 days of straight snowboarding, my legs were toast. I decided to meet up with some local Subaru enthusiasts who wanted to take me out and show off some of Mammoth's backroads. A little before two o'clock, they picked me up in a Stage 2 2006 Subaru STI for a two hour drive.

People say that altitude kills horsepower, but the turbocharger sucked some extremely cold dense air and it felt like the cold air cancelled out some of that loss in power. Apparently, the car feels even more powerful in the town of Bishop which is at a much lower elevation with similar atmospheric conditions.

Every road was clear of snow and wide-open with little traffic. Straight-aways, twisties, and elevation changes all made it one incredible experience. I managed to get this pic of the latest weather conditions over Mammoth Mountain:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Nice pix! mammoth is one of the few resorts I have not been to yet. I've love to go there sometime.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Great pics & write up Kevin!! While LA & OC was flooding a few weeks ago, we bombed up there on a Thur. Had bluebird and freshies for two days. We actually got three chairs when they first opened...the chair on the right (pic #5) we waited in line for it to open and got 20th chair. As we were riding up....we turned around & the whole lodge emptied out....by the time we got back, we were in line with all these people that brought their bloody marys & tall boys.

We made Mammoth to Laguna in 5hrs on Sunday.

We will be going back 20/21/22...on our way to Tahoe!!:woohoo:

Here is some dorifto haction from our trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxEB5EA2NPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RnK2R1a7Q

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Wow. I completely remember Mammoth... Except without all the snow!! I went either one or two summers ago for mountain biking and it was truly amazing. looks like a white version of when I was there haha! Broke my bike in half the first day there too... Hopefully you guys had better luck than I with your boards / skis!

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Wow. I completely remember Mammoth... Except without all the snow!! I went either one or two summers ago for mountain biking and it was truly amazing. looks like a white version of when I was there haha! Broke my bike in half the first day there too... Hopefully you guys had better luck than I with your boards / skis!
I got it GOOOOD today!!!! Yet again the top was closed for the past 3 days, and wadda ya know!!! Bluebird & pow....the lightest snow i have ridden in a loong time. I waited for 3 chairs to open..god freshies til noon. 10th chair up chair 23 to the top of mtn Only person doin scotty's....one of the most epic runs ever.

We drove to Tahoe today...so Northstar, and Alpine/Squaw on tap for rest of week..:banana:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts