Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all, I posted last week about installing some 5x7 speakers in my front doors. Well this weekend, I sarted the project, and I found out I need a spacer. Today, I called up my local Hardware store and found out that I was going to have to cough up $50 if I wanted to buy a sheet of MDF. Is there any reason why I would have to make it out of MDF? Could I substitute MDF for OSB, plywood, or particleboard? Are there any places you can buy smaller pieces of MDF than a 4' by 8' sheet?

I am probably going to make a sub enclosure in the next year, so the only case that I would buy the MDF is if I could save the pieces and use them for that. Would 3/4" MDF work for an enclosure?

----------------------------
edit:

Damn! I just took a closer look at the hole I cut. I didnt plan on using a spacer while planning my project, so I didnt take the possibility that I might need one into consideration when placing my hole. As I look closer, I realize that if I add a 3/4" spacer, my door panel will not fit over the speaker. I need to rotate the hole about 25 degrees to the right in order to have fit the speaker in the correct bulge in the panel. As the 5" by 7" speaker is ovular, this will create some large open areas on either side of the soon-to-be-installed spacer. Any suggestions on how to correct this while incorporating/working around a 3/4" spacer? If you can't picture this, let me know, and maybe I can take some pics tomorrow. Also, I haden't thought of BUYing a pre-made PVC spacer before. However, this is now looking like it might be the most economical option.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
$50 for MDF? Don't know who you called, but that's bulls**t. An 4x8' foot sheet of 3/4" MDF is no more than $22.50 at Lowe's. They sell smaller sheets in 2x4' for less than $10.00.

Spacer wise, all you need to do is space out the mounting. Cutting a spacer out of MDF is actually a pretty good idea. Lay the speaker face down onto the MDF and trace around it, but leave about a 1/4 inch overlap all the way around. Cut that out, then measure the size of the opening you need to cut to drop the speaker into. You can do this many ways, most of the time I just wing it by measuring in 1 to 1.5 inches, then use a dremel to trim as needed. Once you get one done and it fits right, trace it and cut the other.

To mount the MDF spacer to the door, you will need to make SURE that you arrange the speaker and spacer in a way that will still clear the door card. Once you determine this, drill a couple of pilot holes in the MDF, and then use some self-tapping screws to mount it to the metal door I would probably also use a little adhesive-caulking on the back of the spacer to assist the screws to make sure it stays as you will be constantly slamming the door shut over time.

Take a little more adhesive caulk and go around the edge of the MDF spacer and the door to seal it up a bit more. Dynamat the door if you want (optional). Screw the speaker to the mount, and voila......you're done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the tips, guys. I checked on the lowes and home depot's web sites, and I couldnt find any smaller boards than the 4x8s, unfortunately. However, you are right, $50 seems ridiculous now!

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I can make you spacers spacers or even send you some small pieces of MDF if you like. About 60 forum members are running the MDF spacers I make.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
I can make you spacers spacers or even send you some small pieces of MDF if you like. About 60 forum members are running the MDF spacers I make.
raises hand. they are top notch quality and he is quick to ship and overall very professional to deal with. I don't remember what i paid but i know it was better than making them myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts