Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,
Im just wondering, if your going to sell your car, how much weight does maintaining and sorting out all known issue add to a cars cost or is it a case of just sucking it up and selling it at the going market rate as per the mileage?

Take mine for example, its on 116k but in my ownership (16 months) ive had to sort out the door actuator, drivers window mech, redo the water pump, replace Aircon components, changing over the fuel lines/fuel pressure regulator etc then theres the MR GT1's, new tyres, sorting out the dents and so on

So would you price it per mileage or try and ask for more as its mechanically 'been sorted'?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Umm I'd say it depends on you as a salesman, having recently sold my focus and not being a good liar, I'd say it has a lot of value...

If you can confidently back up your maintenance with receipts etc then price it higher.. when looking to buy one earlier this year, I had a guy telling me his had had xyz replaced/sorted/fixed, but he'd lost the receipts... so I walked away.. or emailed away to be precise...

Just make sure you don't say anything cliche...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
With the recent long term weather prediction for winter that was released this past weekend, depending on the year of yours and how it is on timing belt, head gaskets etc. Pop it up for 5K and see what bites. If you're throwing in a second set of wheels and tyres, add 500 to the price for that.
Buyers always try to haggle down, so price in some of that.
If you're in the lower tax bracket, yours will be even more attractive

The pattern seems to be Foresters begin to get scarce around October and November time.

Ebay is only showing 10 Turbo Foresters between 2004-2008 for sale right now (Excluding a few imports) in the UK

** Assuming you have a UK model XT

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a facelift blue sti dude, of which theres none for sale but your right about them being scarce. Think I counted 10 or so sits for sale across the selling sites

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My apologies, I thought you had a grey XT for some reason.
FSTI and Cross Sports are really hard to value. I would certainly look for more with a great maintenance record and condition of vehicle.

I've noticed Impreza STIs are going up in value. I remember when there was a WR1 for sale for 5K a few years back, now they are closer to 10K now and with higher mileage on.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
My advice to any buyer of a used car is to buy the lowest mileage, best maintained vehicle you can afford. I tell them it will be worth the extra money for a well maintained vehicle but it will be worth it in the long run.

The problem is your vehicle is compared to ones at dealer lots where no one has a clue as to how it was maintained and they are priced by the book.

If you can sell to an enthusiast that knows what they are looking at and what to look for, they will pay extra. Not as much as you put into it but more than an undocumented vehicle.

It will take longer to sell a vehicle that is perceived as overpriced by people that don't know what they are looking at, but if you advertise in a place that reaches the enthusiasts, you may be able to get more in the long run.

For an STI, enthusiasts will pay extra for an "adult" driven vehicle if you can prove the line of owners.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can't buy a new SG FSTI. The exciting Foresters finished production in 2008 when Subaru started chasing the American SUV market, competing with the Honda CRV etc, instead of trying to lead the way with exciting cars like they once did.
Subaru still do the BRZ but I believe still without turbo...I believe there is a Levorg Turbo sold in Japan but still very mild compared to the FSTI and even Legacy and Impreza STI versions from the Noughties

Sadly, we've gone backwards with new car design and engineering. Just look at the new Land Rover Defender that was publicised today as an example - What a mess.

(Sorry to derail your thread OP)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think you're in a market of it's own really.

I'm a recent forester owner with 0 Subaru experience. I test drove one randomly at a dealer a while ago with the wife and it got onto a list of potential cars... I did more research.. or basically asked here and then eventually the hunt for the actual one began. Honestly an STI was out of my budget and I didn't really want one... I hadn't ever owned a Subaru so I didn't want to do something daft... (so got a 2.5 XT instead....:rolleyes:)

Someone who wants an suv crossover who doesn't have much thought for Subarus, probably won't choose yours given the family suite barges that flood the market.. Also a young clown might also not pick yours because "it ain't an impreza"... so you're probably on your own in the sense that someone that wants a forester...and an sti.. wants what you have and are willing to pay for it, as such maintenance will really help, especially as you're not a dealer so are not offering any drive away warranty etc...

Do as TMX says, stick it in with a bit of inflation so that if someone knocks you down on the price, you're still happy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a quick look on ebay, there appears to be a cared for FL STI in black going for £7500 but with 90kish miles on the clock. Any cheaper and a breaker would take it.

Anyway, not planning on selling mine having sorted out the issues but had a few people ask me if id like to etc. But given the blacks price and mines on more miles, i might as well just run it until it dies

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that the 2006 Japanese import 304bhp?

There's a silverish one slightly further down for £8750 and that's got 120k miles..
Yeah, i had another look on the bay and theres more STI's for sale, so i must have ticked something and only shown me a few.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its a tough one this, to the average car buyer a list of problems that have been fixed at a vast expense gives them an anxiety attack over what else "will" go wrong and can put them off. As your selling mostly to enthusiasts it could be the opposite as I like to see a good list of common problems fixed and reciepted (don't care too much in regards to who did the work as long as its done). When it comes to adding value, thats where it can be a problem, as a buyer its nice these things have been fixed but you don't want to be paying for them on top of a market price otherwise you might as well risk it and buy one without these problems and hope they don't happen or pay up when they do.

100k+ miles is usually the issue if anything, even though everythings probably fine it makes people uncomfortable, to counter this I haven't had any of my JDM cars switched over to read in miles instead of KM so they are both well over that magical 100k (Eunos on 204K, fsti on 131K). When I'm buying something "old", condition is far more important, if the body is sound, rust free then other things can be fixed (or upgraded ;) ).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts