1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Forster 2.5x premium.

I hope some of you can help me out:

I decided that once my car will get to 10k I want to perform my own maintenance.

Maintenance will include, changing engine oil/filter, front/rear dif. fluids, and drain and refill ATF-HP. Now my question is what kind of tools I need? I am looking for the thread sizes, for engine oil drain plug, front dif drain plug, rear dif drain plug, AT transmission drain plug. Thanks for all your help.

I decided to use:

Engine oil/filter: Oil Castrol SAE 5W-30 Syntec full synthetic motor oil, and OEM filter.
Auto Transmission fluid: Subaru ATF-HP fluid
Front/rear dif: Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
You need a T-70 Torx for the for the center differential. Available at autozone.
0-50 ftlb 3/8" torque wrench
12" long 3/8" inch extension
cheapie metric set of sockets/wrench/ etc
13 mm square male for rear differential
18" 1/2" Breaker Bar for the above. (In a pinch you can use the 1/2" male square on the breaker bar.)
long thin plastic transmission funnel.

This oil filter wrench
Lisle 63600

Deep drain pan:

Rhino Ramps

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ADC it looks like I am almost cover just need to get the T-70 Torx

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Something to perhaps think about - a Fumoto valve for the engine oil change. :smile:

·
Registered
40 Posts
13 mm square male for rear differential
Where exactly does one find a "13 mm square male socket"? Never heard of such a thing before. But it does look like I'll need one if I get ambitious enough to do the 30000-mile service myself.

Or is the 12.5mm square socket at the end of my 1/2" breaker bar good enough?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Where exactly does one find a "13 mm square male socket"? Never heard of such a thing before. But it does look like I'll need one if I get ambitious enough to do the 30000-mile service myself.

Or is the 12.5mm square socket at the end of my 1/2" breaker bar good enough?
1/2" wrench will fit perfectly in the square plugs. Not even the shops I've talked to use a real 13mm square socket.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,083 Posts
I'd also recommend a 1/2" torque wrench for lug nuts (~68 ft-lb) and other higher torque applications. And a spark plug socket, which is a deep socket with a rubber sleeve inside to help in pulling the plug out of the well. You'll also need a 6" extension to get down in there.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Thought I would add this tool/s to the list of handy to have on hand for the rear diff/frost plug(block heater). Had them for about a year now and were <$30USD shipped via their ebay store. Only really use the 14mm hex and 13mm square on a Subaru but I have had the others come in handy to on other projects.

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=1087&item=422

Hex:
5/16"
9mm
10mm
12mm
14mm(Subaru Frost/Wrist pin plugs)
17mm

Square:
8mm
11mm
3/8"
13mm(Subaru rear diff)

·
Registered
2006 Forester LLBean Automatic
538 Posts
******* Oil Pan!

Man, those fancy oil pans are for sissies! Just get you a big ol' trash can lid and put it in a trash bag. You can catch all of your drippings in it, turn the bag inside out, and there you have it - oil in a bag! Your trash can lid is still clean too! Just clip the corner, and you can pour that old oil all over your trash just before you burn it. Just make sure there are no holes in the bag to start with.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!! :banana:

Always dispose of your oil in a responsible manner......pour it down the storm drain. :catfight:

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
the fun part is a funnel that reaches to and fits inside of the transmission fill tube. I have bought several; non are the right size. We have 2 in our shop that fit; but I want my own...

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
the fun part is a funnel that reaches to and fits inside of the transmission fill tube. I have bought several; non are the right size. We have 2 in our shop that fit; but I want my own...
I have used this one for years. Hopkins FloTool 10704.

·
Registered
2006 Forester LLBean Automatic
538 Posts
I was looking at that fill tube this morning, and wondering how in the world I was going to add fluid. Now I know what I need to do!That is why I love this forum!

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
you do not want a cheap metric socket set, strip one bolt head and you will know why. you want 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive. some places a 1/2" just won't fit. long breaker bar for the diff plugs is a must. Once you get more adventurous open ended and ring spanners and/or ratchet spanners are nice. car stands might be nice too. trolley jack. If you are a small guy and are working in a concrete garage, paint the floor and you can slide yourself in and out without a creeper. Painted floor is heaps cleaner too.

labor costs savings will quickly exceed any tool purchase costs.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
fluid transfer pump is also VERY handy. try getting the diff oil in with a squeeze bottle. I use similar for the ATF as well.
Its actually very simple. I buy two bottles of Mobil1 gear lube. I squeeze as much of the first bottle in the rear diff that I can and then use the other full bottle. That is more than enough to fill the rear. I then just use the remainder to fill the center diff. Takes about 2 minutes to fill the rear..including opening both bottles.

I don't understand why you would need it for the ATF when a simple transmission funnel $1.29 works for filling the Auto tyranny and front diff.
To each his own.

I have done this multiple times on several vehicles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts