Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchase a CPO 05 Forester XS premium and have regularly done the oil changes and tire rotations as recommended. I have to add that I received the vehicle with appx 64,000 and today have just reached the 100,000 mile mark.
My question is the following:
Considering these rough economic times I have pretty much stayed away from those recommended maintenances as per Subaru.
So at this point in time I like to know what are the absolutely required maintenances I should be considering to keep my vehicle in tip top shape.
Suggestions Advice and Comments are welcome !

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I would do the timing belt for sure. The boxer engine is in the class known as Interference Engines as far as valve intrusion into the chambers. This means that if the timing belt breaks, then the piston can crash into one or more valves that are left sticking down into the chamber when the belt goes. Major league repair if that happens...basically a rebuild. If you haven't changed the fluids out (brake, transmission, differentials, power steering) you might think about doing those, too. When you hear about cars going 250,000+ miles, it is usually the ones that received their scheduled maintenance on time throughout their lifetime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts