Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I went to start my car yesterday and I heard some strange sounds and the steering wouldn't work.... I turned off the engine and I looked under the hood and the main pulley was just dangling there!

Is this a common occurrence?! is is an '04 xt with 100,000 miles on it.

Three months ago my wife got in a small front end collision. Geico got it fixed in one of their recommended shops. Afterwords I heard a slight squeak on startup that went away and i didn't think anything of it...

The shop said they warrantee any work they do, but they say this wasn't replaced due to the collision. Should it have been? They did say that they replaced the power steering pulley. Should this be covered either by the accident insurance or be considered part of their repair?

How often does this happen to our foresters?
thanks,

r.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
I never heard about something like this happening. :shrug:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Maybe something happened in the collision that damaged the pulley. None visible damage on the outside obviously

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,452 Posts
Very strange! Did it break off or did the nut come off? :confused:

On the positive side, if you were considering a lightweight crank pulley, the removal of the old is done. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Depending upon your insurance company, they may be the path of least resistance with regard to cost free repairs in this particular instance.

If it were me, I would call the insurance company and tell them how uncommon the problem is and attempt to convince them that this was something that happened as a result of the collision and that they should pay to repair it under the previous claim, good luck.

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it broke off.

How much, if at all, should I insist to the shop that did the work for geico, that it was a result of the collision?

... noise started after i got the car back from them, but that was three months ago...

r.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Used to be quite common. That is why the torque spec for that bolt has increased almost every year since the EJ motor first came into existance.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Used to be quite common. That is why the torque spec for that bolt has increased almost every year since the EJ motor first came into existance.
The insurance company does not need to know this fun fact. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
I haven't had to deal with this on a Subaru yet, but I wonder about the construction.

The way Mitsubishi constructed the crank pulley, and I have the feeling Subaru did the same thing, is that there are two seperate steel pieces, the center hub and the outer pulley ring, and it is insert molded together with rubber.

Your collison could have broke those too pieces together.

I had this happen to me on one of my DSM's. The two pieces just seperated for really no apparent reason.

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... here's the resolution.

They fixed it, for free.

They also threw in a free alignment, "for the trouble"... which actually sucks. As it's worse then before.
Attached are the alignmnet numbers....

.... what do you guys think of these numbers?

Where do i find a good place to fix the alignment, by the way? Want it to track straight as an arrow....

r.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Limited
3 Posts
Crank Pulley

Hey Guys
Its happened to me on my 92 Subaru SVX-LSi, and my 04 Forrester XT both pullies came apart so the drive for power steering/Alt. had no drive.
I am sorry to say that Subaru come up short on their pullies.
Glad to hear you got it fixed for free. I will be going light weight pullies on both engines from now on, their one peice so can't come apart.
Good Luck
Michael:icon_cool:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
That alignment isn't too bad, they have done the tracking fairly well, no effort at front camber (which needs equalising) and rear camber is WYSIWYG unless you've added camber bolts.

Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts