1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys...

I'm sort of stuck here...

1998 Subaru Forester "L", 135K miles. The timing belt/water pump was done by Subaru 8 years ago at about 85K miles (they messed it up and had to do a lot of remedial work afterwards). This was my Dad's car, and I'm here now taking care of him (97, blind, deaf and partially physically disabled) and need this car to move him around.

I know I have a head gasket leak so it's been overheating, and I'm trying to address that, but here's the problem...

I never see the main fan go on on it's own since the overheating started, even when it idles for a long time. It DOES come on along with the A/C fan when I turn the A/C on, but they both immediately slow to a stop as soon as I kick the A/C off.

I'm so unfamiliar with these cars... I'm a BMW E30 expert (I have one, 245K original miles upon which I do ALL of the work), but this Japanese thing is sending me for loops. To make matters worse, he lives in a place that doesn't really allow you to work on your car, so I do most of the things at night while everyone in the neighborhood's asleep.

I have to change the plugs... I'll address that one of these days when I have time and am in a calmer mood. I see that as one of the worst jobs I'll ever have to do on this car, but I was able to fairly easily remove the two front plug boots and the rear on the passenger side... the back one on the driver side will be an absolute bear.

However, even though I have the service manual, I can't find where the temp sensor is. I did check the fuses for both fans before I tried the A/C and they were both fine. I also pulled the two relays for the sub and main fans and checked the contacts. The thermostat is a brand new Subaru t/s and the heat is working like a charm.

I believe that the temp sensor, wherever it is, is not operating properly or the fan would run... I did disconnect the battery last night, left it disconnected overnight, and then went through the ECU reset procedure to see if perhaps during the overheating it set something way off... Didn't help...

I would appreciate any guidance here... I'm at a loss, very cash poor right now, and can't be without this car. Any suggestions, hints, answers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was doing a flush this afternoon, and added a bit of room temp water using a no-spill funnel...

Odd thing was that both fans came on for a few seconds and then both went off...

Car was idling... temp always stayed below the 1/2 way mark, and the heater was shooting out nice hot air.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,711 Posts
@ShadowAndMax per the main radiator fan diagnostics, the listed conditions have to be met before the main fan operates... assuming the A/C is not engaged.

• Engine coolant temperature is above 95°C (203°F).
• Vehicle speed is below 19 km/h (12 MPH).

Have those conditions been met & the main radiator fan doesn't operate? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1998 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think it's OK...

All wiring looks ok, is connected and the fans did finally come on. Funny, they almost never run when the car is idling...
@Natedog... Where's that sensor located???
@2.5x_sleeper... Seems like they're OK... Like I sad above... they never seem to run when the car's idling though...

Thanks guys...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts