Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, the Forester gets an upstairs. The new Airtop from Maggiolina arrived yesterday and we have had our first night on the car.

The tent is fantastic –*it is not our first rooftent, but the quality and finish of this new model, if better than what we have seen before.

I have mounted the tent on Thule Aero crossbars. The tent is a size "small" – 210 x 130 cm. The model in black is called "Black Storm".

Looking forward to a great summer on adventure!

Martin

Attachments

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
How much did you spend on it, if you don't mind me asking. I've been wanting to get something like this for a while now. Looks comfortable and easy to setup.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much did you spend on it, if you don't mind me asking. I've been wanting to get something like this for a while now. Looks comfortable and easy to setup.
Hi - I see somebody already beat me to the punch, with a link to Autohome in the US. These tents are a little pricy, but well worth the investment, in my opinion. High quality, superior materials and function. Tested for ages in all kinds of climates. We started off with an EezyAwn on a Land Rover, a few years ago, then to an Overland, a Columbus Variant – and now the AirTop.

The Columbus Variant is a little less expensive and a great tent, but I am 189 cm (6´2") and when streched out, the narrow end in the Columbus is a bit annoying. My sleeping bag gets compressed and my feet gets cold.

We have always used a Medium size tent on our Land Rovers, but given the size of the Forester, the Small is a better match.

But –*try a roof tent on your next adventure. It is really a brilliant setup!

M

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
What's the (nominal) roofrack capacity of a 2010?

I imagine you are well in excess of it, although of course your load is almost static and nowhere near the dynamic loads that would be incurred if you were driving!

Simon

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the (nominal) roofrack capacity of a 2010?

I imagine you are well in excess of it, although of course your load is almost static and nowhere near the dynamic loads that would be incurred if you were driving!

Simon
I do not think this is a problem at all. The dynamic load limit, per the owners manual, is 100 kilo –*the tent weighs 55 kilo.

With two people in the tent, the total load is about 200 kilo. Should be no problem. Especially since Subaru have just started running an ad with a Forester with a roof tent on it :-D

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know something like this exists... i think it's wonderful!

Mightbe something for my this years trip to Denmark / Sweden..... :cool:
:-D Yes, a roof tent is great! No need to find a "spot" to pitch a tent. Always off the ground. Always dry, level and with a soft comfortable matress. We have travelled all over the planet with our Land Rovers, and always with a roof tent –*it works summer & winter, wet and dry.

In Nederland these are sold by a company called "topsleeper.nl"

M

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X Lux. Aut.
551 Posts
:-D Yes, a roof tent is great! No need to find a "spot" to pitch a tent. Always off the ground. Always dry, level and with a soft comfortable matress. We have travelled all over the planet with our Land Rovers, and always with a roof tent –*it works summer & winter, wet and dry.

In Nederland these are sold by a company called "topsleeper.nl"

M
Cool!

but.... i was wondering how do you get in without scratching your Foz :confused:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Could be interesting if someone decided to steal your car in the night!
Given that I have keyless on my forester it sure could be done. I am sleeping upstairs with the keys. The cars senses the keys as inside the car :p

nice setup with the top tent and good looking forester!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Given that I have keyless on my forester it sure could be done. I am sleeping upstairs with the keys. The cars senses the keys as inside the car :p

nice setup with the top tent and good looking forester!
Tack! Mine is key-less as well. I´ll have to run the "car thief experiment".
In two weeks we take our first trip of the season – cayaking on Immeln. Looking forward to enjoy our upstairs in the wild.

M

·
Registered
99 VW
1 Posts
rooftent dealer

Hello Martin
Could you tell me where you have bought your "Black storm" is it here in DK?
Yours
Verning

"ba
Finally, the Forester gets an upstairs. The new Airtop from Maggiolina arrived yesterday and we have had our first night on the car.

The tent is fantastic –*it is not our first rooftent, but the quality and finish of this new model, if better than what we have seen before.

I have mounted the tent on Thule Aero crossbars. The tent is a size "small" – 210 x 130 cm. The model in black is called "Black Storm".

Looking forward to a great summer on adventure!

Martin

1 - 20 of 29 Posts