Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove up to Madison Wisconsin this Friday night and got to meet Shannon at the meet at Don Miller Subaru today. Like most Subaru meets there was far more WRX's than anything. I was surprised how many Foresters I saw driving around in Madison, but how few were actually there. I know Shannon really worked hard to put it all together and he's a great guy. I'm not surprised he gave up on this site though because it seems Forester owners don't care. Strange, because it was at a pretty big dealership, there was good free food, prizes, and it was a lot of fun. I think there was only 4 Foresters there and I was one of them!:confused:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I drove up to Madison Wisconsin this Friday night and got to meet Shannon at the meet at Don Miller Subaru today. Like most Subaru meets there was far more WRX's than anything. I was surprised how many Foresters I saw driving around in Madison, but how few were actually there. I know Shannon really worked hard to put it all together and he's a great guy. I'm not surprised he gave up on this site though because it seems Forester owners don't care. Strange, because it was at a pretty big dealership, there was good free food, prizes, and it was a lot of fun. I think there was only 4 Foresters there and I was one of them!:confused:

http:
I'm a big supporter for members who try to organize meets and get fellow members to attend. I don't think that it's a matter of people not caring, it's just often the case of not seeing a thread that becomes easily buried in a slew of Active Posts. Let me tell you it is definately time consuming to read the threads of the day and even I have to hunt through, looking for threads of interest.

I see the potential for success with groups that have started threads similar to these lists http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-norcal-forester-owners-list-55541/, http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-oregon-forester-owners-list-55942/, http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-washington-forester-owners-list-55547/ and others who have taken the time to assemble a list of Forester Owners in their states or locales.

Not everyone is as active as most people think, and not everyone will go through all the new posts or look at specific threads and forums unless they have subscribed to them for updates. I see the potential in the list as a tool to assemble group PM's, alerting them to events/meets that might be of interest to them. If you have a list to go by you could break down the list and have some active members create some group PM's (unfortunately theres no way aroung manually doing the PM's but at least you can group user names in one PM). That way at least when a member logs in they will have a message notification (as long as they have the notification turned on).

In some cases you will have to make a 'grass roots effort' to get some response. For the small cost of some paper, you could be creating mini flyers, that can be cut up and slipped under wipers of Forester or Subaru vehicles you see. Members have found often enough that when they meet up with a pretty neat looking/modded Forester, that the owners sometimes know nothing about this site.

Even with some lists reaching over a hundred owners, its tough to get more than 10 that can attend some events, work and family obligations can rule out many as well as distance and driving times.

I think that everyone that puts out an effort to raise interest and participation can appreciate the results whether big or small. But it's not going to come by one persons efforts and that's why I think either state or regional lists can give you a more accurate way of seeing the potential as well as serving as a contact list with some effort.

There's also a couple of tri-state and city area threads as well that could benefit from a members list for their locale, but it takes an active member to create and maintain it.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pics. I especially loved the Brat and the SVX.
That Brat has a 2.5 swap and a motorcycle exhaust! The guy was cool, did all the work himself, and drove in with a group from Milwaukee

I'm a big supporter for members who try to organize meets and get fellow members to attend. I don't think that it's a matter of people not caring, it's just often the case of not seeing a thread that becomes easily buried in a slew of Active Posts. Let me tell you it is definately time consuming to read the threads of the day and even I have to hunt through, looking for threads of interest.

I see the potential for success with groups that have started threads similar to these lists http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-norcal-forester-owners-list-55541/, http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-oregon-forester-owners-list-55942/, http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-washington-forester-owners-list-55547/ and others who have taken the time to assemble a list of Forester Owners in their states or locales.

Not everyone is as active as most people think, and not everyone will go through all the new posts or look at specific threads and forums unless they have subscribed to them for updates. I see the potential in the list as a tool to assemble group PM's, alerting them to events/meets that might be of interest to them. If you have a list to go by you could break down the list and have some active members create some group PM's (unfortunately theres no way aroung manually doing the PM's but at least you can group user names in one PM). That way at least when a member logs in they will have a message notification (as long as they have the notification turned on).

In some cases you will have to make a 'grass roots effort' to get some response. For the small cost of some paper, you could be creating mini flyers, that can be cut up and slipped under wipers of Forester or Subaru vehicles you see. Members have found often enough that when they meet up with a pretty neat looking/modded Forester, that the owners sometimes know nothing about this site.

Even with some lists reaching over a hundred owners, its tough to get more than 10 that can attend some events, work and family obligations can rule out many as well as distance and driving times.

I think that everyone that puts out an effort to raise interest and participation can appreciate the results whether big or small. But it's not going to come by one persons efforts and that's why I think either state or regional lists can give you a more accurate way of seeing the potential as well as serving as a contact list with some effort.

There's also a couple of tri-state and city area threads as well that could benefit from a members list for their locale, but it takes an active member to create and maintain it.
I know what you're saying. You're right. I was just expecting even more. After seeing the pics from the WBM I'm still totally jealous. I'll drive a few hours to meet up anywhere, but not 20!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts