Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a MadDad Ultra Basic boost gauge. The gauge is an electronic boost gauge, with green backlighting and a red needle. It's a very nice unit and looks great in the car. For mounting, I used a "Subiegal" type gauge pod (purchased from another online retailer, and it was called "MB Gauge Pod" but the instructions that came with it had another name), secured to the dash with velcro.

The install was pretty straightforward -- for the wiring, the gauge needed 4 different 12V positives, and one chassis ground. I used fuse taps at these fuse #'s:

3 - Door Lock (constant +12V)
9 - Radio Audio (ACC +12V, turns off briefly when starting engine)
12 - Illumi (dash lighting +12V)
14 - Meter (ON +12V, stays on during engine starting)

and grounded on one of the bolts above the fuse panel.

Routing the wires from the remote transducer was a pain, but I eventually got it. Probably would have helped if I did this in the daytime!

The fuse panel before zip tying the wires away

Done! Matches nicely with the dash.

And here's a quick video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUvTIwxptCA

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Looks great installed. One of the things I should note for everyone...on the shutdown sequence, when the needle is flashing for a few seconds..the gauge is actually showing you the peak boost for that driving session. So basically a peak recall every time you shut off the car.

Looks great !

R.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
Thats a nice gauge and a nice little clip to go with it, you have given me an idea about a side project to start.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The Maddad site says the brightness can be adjusted, and the price on it is really good too. If I didn't already have an Omori I'd buy this one!

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,503 Posts
Can the brightness of the gauge be adjusted?
I have a previous version of the gauge (the V2 RX Clarity) and mine is quite bright - I think it's supposed to dim when the headlights are on; mine doesn't, but that could easily be due to a wiring error on my part. I also tried to wire in a resistor to dim it and couldn't get that to work either - again, I attribute that to user error - I eventually gave up and ran with it at the "stock" brightness.

Even though it is pretty bright I got used to it quickly and it's nice that it's highly visible, even in direct sunlight. If you mount it on the steering column I'd suggest a pod with a hood on it because there will be some reflection off the windshield at night.

I really like my gauge, the font and color match the Forester cluster nearly perfectly. :banana:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The gauge reads boost off the BOV line, where it's tapped, and goes into a transducer. From there, electrical wire goes into the gauge.

Having session peak is actually a nice feature I wasn't looking for. When I exit the car I always take a quick peek to see how much boost was "used" which I could relate to fuel consumption -- higher boost reached = more fuel used, and vice versa. Highest I've hit so far is just below 15psi. Is this pretty accurate for a stock (besides sti muffler and snorkus delete) FXT with 4EAT?

The brightness of the gauge can be adjusted, rather easily actually. All you need to do is turn the headlights on/off twice quickly, and the brightness will increase one step. There are 4 levels of brightness and an off mode. You set two brightness levels -- one for when your lights are off (daytime) and one for when they are on. I have mine set to have no backlight when my headlights are off, and on the dimmest setting for when the lights are on (as shown in the video). The dimmest setting of the gauge is a tiny bit brighter than the car's gauge on the brightest setting. If the gauge were dimmer, it would be a better match. But I am not complaining as the setting I have right now is just right.

The gauge also comes with a hood, but I decided not to use it since it looked kind of funny in the gauge pod. If I were to use the included mounting bracket, I'd probably use the hood.

·
Premium Member
0506 RS/ FXT
196 Posts
Did you get the remote with it too! I bought one with the same pod and the remote and cant seem to get the remote function to work properly, if someone could give me a hand! It would greatly be appreciated thanks guys. Nice write up too man! I did mine into the stereo and the A/C power! nice fuse mods!

·
Registered
04XT
205 Posts
Please give us a follow-up on how your Maddad gauge has been performing and any new insights you've had since owning it. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The gauge has been performing as it did the day I installed it. Sometimes, the gauge will not "startup" when I turn on the car -- the needle will stay at -15, and the red LED will blink. This only happens if I turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. Once the engine starts though, it does the startup sequence again and then works fine. Other than that, the gauge works just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts