Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2005 XT - Machine Shop Costs - Updated!

('03-'05) 
985 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tweak3D 
#1 ·
OK, so I should have probably asked about pricing before dropping off my heads at the machine shop, but they had great reviews and seemed like a solid company. Between rebuilding both heads, cleaning and decking the case, they are asking $966 dollars for just over 9 hours of work. It seems about 30% over what I feel would be reasonable considering I provided all the parts, the case was stripped and heads had the valves in them. I'm curious what others have paid to have their heads rebuilt and a general cleaning and decking of the case.

See less See more
#2 ·
After speaking with the guys at the machine shop, they were kind enough to walk me through the steps involved. Because the valves and seats were reground, the valve sat higher in the head and required the valves to be adjusted. The standard way to adjust the valves on the DOHC engine require measuring the clearance and buying the appropriate lifter can get expensive and time-consuming real fast. Instead, the machinist trimmed the tips of the valves to adjust the clearance to specs. This involved process was around 2.5 hours to complete and saved me lots of time and additional expense on the purchase of appropriately sized lifters for each valve. So a couple of hundred dollars at the machine shop saved me many hours of time, parts cost and downtime due to parts shipping.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.