Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter owns a 2015 Forester. Bought it new. The first two years when she R&R the snows/summer tires, the lugs came off with no problems. Did it by hand. Last year, she took it to a dealership and they broke off two studs. They told her the lugs were frozen. This past Friday, same issue occurred. The lugs are chrome plated. Anyone else experience this?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,220 Posts
@bfmgoalie I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Take a look at my Google custom forum search results for: "wheel lugs breaking off". Scroll down to the results. :wink:

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
923 Posts
back in the days when I was doing my own wheel changing, I would once (didn't repeat doing it on later changes, FWIW) run a small bead of oil over the stud threads before I replaced the lug nuts. Worked for me.

·
Administrator
41,220 Posts
I always use a torque wrench to correctly tighten the lug nuts, using the recommended "star" pattern.

My favorite assembly lubricant... fastener coating is Lock-Ease. I've been using this since I was a kid with my first car... a used 64 VW bug. I've never had broken studs or seized nuts. :wink:

Lock-Ease goes on as a liquid. The solvent dissipates, leaving a graphited rust preventative coating.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
478 Posts
I usually put a small amount of oil on each lugnut. With the lugnuts on our Subaru, it's the taper in the lugnut and wheel that keep it tight, not the threads. But if the threads get rusty, then things get stuck.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,630 Posts
In a corrosive environment, some form of lube helps, and many things will work.
ATF seems to also do the job, and it's a cheap alternative.
In all cases, a little goes a long way.
Another option is Teflon lube, which is also great for motorcycle chains.
It seals the threads and doesn't attract dirt like most other petroleum products.
A small squirt and the threads can be sealed from the outside as well.

A major cause is over-torque of the lugs, which can cause problems by itself.
An air gun in the wrong hands can easily double the recommended foot pounds, and if you add some salt...
Gee... Your lugs broke because they were frozen... Who could have predicted that ?????
@smiffy6four mentioned a good idea that most tire places will tell you to do as well...
Check the wheel lug's torque after driving. Primarily to catch a loose lug missed by mistake.
I also check to make sure the lugs aren't too tight by setting the wrench higher...
Places that fix flats don't seem to have any settings but maximum on their air wrenches...

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
324 Posts
Past threads (no pun intended) on lug nut torquing have had engineers chime in that the manufacturers torque values include the friction encountered with dry threads. Any lubricant will cause you to miss the target torque. But lot's of folks do it, and I have not heard of too many wheels falling off.

·
Administrator
41,220 Posts
Per the Subaru technical service documents:
'03 - 90 N·m (9.1 kgf-m, 65.7 ft-lb)
'07 - 100 N·m (10.2 kgf-m, 73.8 ft-lb)
Per the Owner's Manual:
'03 - 58 to 72 ft-lb (80 to 100 N-m, 8 to 10 kgf-m)
'07 - 58 to 72 ft-lb (80 to 100 N-m, 8 to 10 kgf-m)
We apply a light coating of Lock-Ease, graphited lock fluid on the lug nuts & wheel studs. We always use a torque wrench to torque the lug nuts to 80 ft-lbs, using the recommended star pattern.

No issues with studs breaking off on either of our Foresters.

► Disclaimer - this is NOT a recommendation, just what we do. :wink:

Bobby...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts