Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if stock lugnuts can be used on BBS RK rims? Some say you'll be fine and some say not to.

I have two concerns with using stock lugnuts now that I did some more readings.

1. Stock lugnuts might be too short
2. Stock lugnuts are too wide to fit into the holes

If I can't use stock lugnuts, can you recommend me some after market ones? What specs should I look for?

I never knew there are so many things to watch out for for lug nuts :crazy:

Cheers.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Bobby. I should just PM you next time I have a question :)

Would these ones work?

I'd still like to know if using stock lug nuts would've caused any damage. And what should I look for when buying lug nuts for the RKs.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,046 Posts
They look kinda big, like the stock lug nuts. Looking at the BBS RK rims, they look like they'd take the Subaru lug nut, so those lug nuts you linked to should work. Going with the stock lug nuts would save you some money, unless you want to go with black. :wink:

As to damaging the wheels, I'd check with the seller & see what they say. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I wasn't being clear.

I meant I've been using the BBS RKs with stock lug nuts for about 1 1/2 season now. When I put these together the first time, the stock lug nuts seemed a bit too fat for the RKs, but it never occurred to me that I should look for some information till now.

I'm going to take one of the wheels off tomorrow and inspect, anything in particular I should look for besides the normal common sense?

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
My mistake... I thought you were looking for lug nuts for new wheels. :smile:

If you can get a socket in there to tighten the stock lug nuts, you should be good. If you want to change them, I'd recommend a tuner type, with a spline drive. They're slimmer & deeper, plus the special spline socket is easier to use. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does seem to tighten good, my torque wrench clicks when I set it to 80 ft/lb.

I do want to get some after market lug nuts just to be safe. What other recommended brands are there? I think black ones would look nice.

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
McGard makes some very nice lug nuts. I have McGard wheels locks on all my vehicles. I use Gorilla tuner lug nuts, since I get a great deal on them from my tire guy. :wink:

Here's a link to McGard spline drive lug nuts. They have some very nice looking ones! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,322 Posts
I didn't like the Gorilla nuts. They rusted in less than a year. I have the McGards and they're holding up a lot better. Plus they have the seat where it doesn't scratch up your wheels as you're tightening.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I agree with McGard > Gorilla. I've also had good experiences with Muteki, Ray's and another cheap brand I found on ebay (forget name). The real considerations are color and price point.

Bobby, if you need a blue set, I have an extra set of lightly used Ray's extended lugs in blue. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
I didn't like the Gorilla nuts. They rusted in less than a year. I have the McGards and they're holding up a lot better. Plus they have the seat where it doesn't scratch up your wheels as you're tightening.
Gorilla lug nuts do rust, but strangely, not all of them. I started waxing them & haven't had any more rusting issues. Here's how I wax my lug nuts. :wink:

Bobby, if you need a blue set, I have an extra set of lightly used Ray's extended lugs in blue. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer, but after thinking about this, I decided it would look odd with the chromed McGard wheels locks. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some pictures I took. I just took one front wheel off and inspected. There are some metal shavings etc, I thought that was normal. Some rusts and dusts on the hub. The stock lug nuts are starting to rust and deform around the tapered ends.

Also my brakes are supposed to be warped, but they looked OK to me.

Anything you can tell from the pictures?

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
The rusting is easy to address, like I did. I'm kind of concerned with the condition of the wheel studs, but then, I use Lock-Ease Graphited Lock Fluid on the threads. Yes, a no, no by most forum members, but it keeps the threads from rusting & I've used this stuff since I started working on cars. :wink:

As to the rounded tops of the lugs, I'm leaning towards the stock lug nuts bottoming out. Take a look at the picture below. I happen to have a set of subframe locking bolts that I haven't installed yet & the thread are the same as the wheel lugs. I bottomed out both the stock lug nut on the left & the Gorilla brand spline tuner lug nut on the right. Note how much farther the Gorilla lug nut goes on the bolt.

This is just a guess, but the "warped" brake you mentioned, might be caused by the wheels not torquing on correctly, due to the stock lug nuts bottoming out. Like I said, this is just a guess. :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bobby. Why are you concerned with the conditions of the studs?

I'm going to track down some Mcgard lug nuts, though I have ordered some rotors and pads. I should have asked the questions a long time ago.

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
Thanks Bobby. Why are you concerned with the conditions of the studs?
They look like metal has worn off a bit where the lug nuts have been. Perhaps water wicking in casusing corrosion. The thread edges look a bit rough, not smooth like it farther down. If it were me, I'd put something on the threads to prevent any further corrosion. :wink:

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts