Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried search but since, im guessing, it's so simple, no one ever posted it. box came in with no instruction or illustration. i dont wanna 'wing' it (ie pry plastic things out in my cargo area or worse, scratch the hell out of things) so i'd rather be a known noob and ask here than complicate things on my new foz! :p thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
there's 2 plastic covers right behind the seats that you need to remove, this is where the big non moving end attaches, these should be pretty easy to remove and I think when I put them back in they had a little slot to get a screwdriver into. Try pulling them off with your hand first.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
mundane,
If you're asking where does the cargo cover mount on the two ends, that's easy. About 4 inches back from the seatbacks on top of the wheel housing plastic trim are two covers, sort of "L" shaped, about 5" long. One of them, the right side, is a little bit larger because it covers the release button for the cover crossbar.
These trim covers just pop off with a little careful prying with a tape covered screwdriver. Save for future use because once you start using the cover you probably won't be using them again. I just put them in a box in my garage.
Actually putting the cover in place requires a bit of care as the ends of the aluminum crossbar can scratch the trim. First the filler flap cover that fits between the rear (make sure the rear seatbacks are in the full upright position) seatbacks and the crossbar needs to be folded over the top of the aluminum crossbar, insert the left end of the crossbar into it's pocket than lower the right (pass. side) side into its pocket, but this side snaps into place. Now unfold the filler flap. You'll notice the rod at the front of the flap has molded plastic hooks that form a snug press fit again the trim, notice the little molded in arrows that they want you to align with.
Next just pull the cover back out and engage the side pins in the molded grooves and you're go to go.
Good lord, I said this was simple! Looks like I wrote an assembly manual for the space shuttle. Trust me, it will take you 5 seconds to figure this out once you pop those two L shaped covers off.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey for a noob like me, every tidbits of instructions and tips HELPS! :)

thanks jkoppee and esp caddguy6. ill install it later in the afternoon. i'll post a pic ...maybe! lol!

·
Registered
2014 forester limited auto
19 Posts
question about uninstalling it

The tonneau cover came installed from the dealer but AI cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove it. On my '05 Forester it just popped out but this one does not want to come out.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
hawg,
There is a release button on the right side. Just push it down and it will release that side, then you lift it up and towards the window a little bit.

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I cannot find a button, lever, or anything to release it. I looked on both sides and came up with zilch. There are screws visible and a round yellow sticker on top but nothing else.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Take a picture of what you're looking at with your phone. that'll help us point it out to you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
this is the right side
pic loaded turned for some reason
I'm not sure what you're talking about but if you want to remove the luggage cover, then the bar is spring loaded. Just pull one end of it inward and then pop it out of the socket. There is nothing on it or on the car that will release it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well that was simple enough, thanks.

I was looking for a button from your earlier suggestion.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium, AWP 5MT
566 Posts
Guess the 14's are different than the 09-13's because the 09-13's do have a button to press to release it (on the passenger side0.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
Guess the 14's are different than the 09-13's because the 09-13's do have a button to press to release it (on the passenger side0.
That is right, the 14s are spring loaded on one end. Pre 14s had the button release on one end. Probably so one can not use an old cover on a new car to save a 'few' dollars.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That is right, the 14s are spring loaded on one end. Pre 14s had the button release on one end. Probably so one can not use an old cover on a new car to save a 'few' dollars.
This button must've been an in-between thing. My 97 OBS cover was also spring loaded (I'm pretty sure).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts