Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some of this Lucas upper cylinder formula for my older vehicle. Now that I have my new 2019 Forester I was wondering if I should use it in this vehicle. Just got the vehicle in November. My wife says not use stuff like that in this new vehicle. She says it's under warranty. I don't know if I should or not. Maybe I should use only 1/2 of what it asks for on the label.
Other additive discussions says that Subaru have not studied the effects of fuel additives so they say to not to use it.

Anyhow what do others think? I don't need anyone to say to me: "I use bla bla bla in my tank." I don't need or want to discuss what others use. I am not asking for someone's opinion of other products. I just want to talk about the Lucas product.

I recently had a 2001 Kia Sportage that developed an engine light blinking. It groveled when I tried to start it. I then put some of this Lucas and ran it for a 1/2 day and the light went out and the starting was normal. This is why I always liked to use this product. I am not making this up. I do not work for Lucas or any car parts business. I am a computer guy only.

Ok, what do others think about Lucas in my 2019 Forester.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It just has more solvents than normal gasoline. I have 3 cans of SeaFoam in my '18 with 8K miles.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
798 Posts
The '19 engine is direct injection with fuel being injected below the valves so the Lucas won't help with them, but it might help keep the injectors clean. However, if you're using premium gas it probably has enough detergents anyway.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,042 Posts
I don't recall Lucas UCL having many additives in it. I'd argue that no modern engine needs an upper cylinder lube. If you use it in your Forester, it will literally perform no positive function, so there's that. If something does go wrong, then I would keep its use to yourself.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,452 Posts
@forjonny...I totally agree with @slothman. It won't hurt anything at all but it will not help either if you are already using top tier gas with great detergents. Any additives in todays modern cars are worthless if use use a quality fuel.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
717 Posts
Welcome to forum! 1st post.

I recently had a 2001 Kia Sportage that developed an engine light blinking. It groveled when I tried to start it. I then put some of this Lucas and ran it for a 1/2 day and the light went out and the starting was normal. This is why I always liked to use this product.
That's GREAT REASON to use it. Just never mention using it to Subaru dealer.

I tried Lucas one bottle on one car, no impact good or bad. Must have been a two-fer sale, I had one of the small bottles left. I recalled some discussion or advertisement saying Lucas was based on a natural product: so I took a bottle of cooking oil out to the garage and compare looks / and shaken viscosity to give an eyeball impression of Lucas: sure seemed to resemble corn oil in my look-see. FWIW.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
That's GREAT REASON to use it. Just never mention using it to Subaru dealer.
IF something goes wrong and a warranty claim is made - I guarantee that a sample of all fluids will be taken and anylized for chemistry. It’s pretty easy for a lab to tell what has been used or not...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
IF something goes wrong and a warranty claim is made - I guarantee that a sample of all fluids will be taken and anylized for chemistry. It’s pretty easy for a lab to tell what has been used or not...
Where did you come up with this?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Where did you come up with this?
As a fleet manager for a large governmental entity, I have had many warranty dealings - Many hinged on lab findings.

The manufacturer is looking for any out (rightfully so, I guess). Those “extra solvents” are very noticeable to a lab. They can even tell what brand oil you use to see if it matches their specifications.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
Thus my comment above.
Why run even the smallest risk a major engine or tranny claim will be questioned or denied.
I admit I’m the least knowledgeable mechanical wise on this thread... but I learned over 70 years not to fix it if it ain’t broke.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
Fair enough but you are talking government. The day I start worrying bc you put a can of Lucas or Seafoam in the gas tank is the cay I stop driving.
But to each his own :)

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
VERY unlikely

Reactions: DockingPilot

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
Thus my comment above.
Why run even the smallest risk a major engine or tranny claim will be questioned or denied.
I admit I’m the least knowledgeable mechanical wise on this thread... but I learned over 70 years not to fix it if it ain’t broke.
You're allowed to run any brand of oil and any weight that the owner's manual lists. This will keep you in compliance with the factory warranty.

Once the warranty is up, run what you prefer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, we got some opinions and some answers that are facts. But, does anyone really know if this stuff will help. For reals! I was thinking just put like half or less of what they say to use in the tank. Now I know that on an older car when you use this in a couple of tanks it really feels your car is peppier. I used it in my 2000 Chrysler Voyager and it seemed like a new engine after a couple of treatments. Of course on the 2001 Kia it showed by the end of the day or the next day. When you see your idiot, I mean engine light go out after a couple of hours of driving then that says something. Remember that the Kia start up was a little off. Remember that I would have to turn the key twice before it kicked over. After it fired off then I saw the engine light. This is when I went to the auto parts store to get the Lucas. Well it worked on this two things. The light and the starting. I ran maybe every third tank fillup on the Kia after that. Same as the Chrysler especially on long runs. I would put a nice dose of the Lucas in and away we'd go.

So that's all I know about Lucas is what I saw. I always but the large bottle because I have two cars.

Ok Good call on the discussion.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
7 Posts
It doesn't need oil additives. Only needs oil changed a the recommended interval the dealer tells you. MIne use synthetic 0-20 wow that is low. Don;t care. The manual specify's it and that is what it will get. No additives, modern engines are super tuned in every way,

The tire pressure signal illuminated the first cold day, I topped each tire off and it went away. So much for "Deflate-Gate".

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
There is no benefit to adding oil to the fueling system. It doesn't clean and modern engines don't need an upper-cylinder lube. Buying products like this is simply throwing your money away. If you're susceptible to placebo effects and want the ability to tell yourself that the idle is smoother, MPG has increased by 0.01% and that it starts 0.1 second faster than without the additive, then by all means use it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
There is no benefit to adding oil to the fueling system. It doesn't clean and modern engines don't need an upper-cylinder lube. Buying products like this is simply throwing your money away. If you're susceptible to placebo effects and want the ability to tell yourself that the idle is smoother, MPG has increased by 0.01% and that it starts 0.1 second faster than without the additive, then by all means use it.
Wouldn’t it be the side cylinders for the Boxer?... 😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts