Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I went with the LubroMoly 75W90 full flush and fill front and rear.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

I did the rear diff. first and what drained out looked like caramel: goopy and brown. Then I did the front. Let me tell you, getting to the fill hole is a PITA.

Anyway, the difference is like night and day. Cold shifts feel like warm shifts. My second gear lurching went away, shifts like butter was rubbed into my shifter.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

BTW: If you do buy the LubroMoly, the bottle is kind of weird. It has an extending tube that comes out of the bottle to make filling easier. However, if you're using a pump that you screw to the bottle, you'll have to pry that thing out.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Excellent results. Thanks for posting. Did the Lubro Moly have the usual GL5 stinky smell? Just wondering if they use the standard extreme pressure additives or something else.

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never done a transmission fluid change but i can tell you that stuff stinks; my garage still smells like it. haha

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I've never done a transmission fluid change but i can tell you that stuff stinks; my garage still smells like it. haha
With gear oil, the more stink the better... means they didn't skimp on the additive package.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
I was just googling that oil this weekend and I found one reference where the user ended up going back to whatever he had before.
He found out, like you did, that shifting was very good. But he said that at low speed and with the steering wheel cranked to the side he was getting some sort of grinding noise.
So good for the gear box, bad for the front diff?

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't gotten any sort of low speed grinding with the wheel cranked to either side. (I've done that plenty of times since I've changed the fluid.) I can tell you, however, this stuff is better than whatever I had in there before.

Perhaps there was a preexisting condition with that user?

The bottle said GL-5 and it's fully synthetic without friction modifiers so I'd say its fine.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I actually researched gear oils to death awhile back, and the Lubro Moly full synthetic GL5 75W90 is hard to beat. It uses a full group IV PAO synthetic base oil, and the additive package has molybdenum to augment the extreme pressure additives and help with boundary lubrication. Lubro Moly aka Liqui Moly is very popular with the BMW enthusiasts. Maybe because its made in Germany who knows.

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,204 Posts
I'm glad to see there's a little following of LubroMoly here on this forum. Besides BMW, Moto Guzzi enthusiasts like this gear oil too.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S EJ205 5sp
140 Posts
BIG fan of the line of LiquiMoly branded products. Very high quality oils, and additives that actually WORK as claimed. It's nice that NAPA is now carrying their line, as I no longer have to pay what the BMW shops wanted for it.

Of course then I'm biased....

The non-Subie part of my fleet: '72 2002,'89 325iX, '90 325iX, '93 525iT-5spd conversion
The folk's fleet (I maintain): '71 2002, '89 525i, '90 325iX (2), '91 325iX, '99 525iT

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,204 Posts
X Mon™;994630 said:
The non-Subie part of my fleet: '72 2002,'89 325iX, '90 325iX, '93 525iT-5spd conversion
The folk's fleet (I maintain): '71 2002, '89 525i, '90 325iX (2), '91 325iX, '99 525iT
sweet fleet you have there! i drove a 325e forever before i bought the forester. miss it. the 2002s are interesting machines. do you have any pix to share?

·
Registered
2012 2.5 X Touring 4EAT
48 Posts
I had my rear diff and my transmission oil changed to Lubro Molly 75W90 GL5
and changed my engine oil to Lubro Molly 5W30 SM and the car feels like a well oiled and much smoother running machine.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,502 Posts
I actually researched gear oils to death awhile back, and the Lubro Moly full synthetic GL5 75W90 is hard to beat. It uses a full group IV PAO synthetic base oil, and the additive package has molybdenum to augment the extreme pressure additives and help with boundary lubrication. Lubro Moly aka Liqui Moly is very popular with the BMW enthusiasts. Maybe because its made in Germany who knows.
LubroMolly engine oil has no moly in it. Have you seen an oil analysis of this stuff?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
LubroMolly engine oil has no moly in it. Have you seen an oil analysis of this stuff?
Haven't had my head in this for awhile, but pretty sure I remember their gear oil 75W90 did have moly in the add pack. You are right about their engine oil not having it though. And I could still be wrong about the 75W90, but I thought I saw proof somewhere back when I wrote that.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 manual
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 2009 forester manual transmission, I'm experiencing some torque bind after long demanding drives, I read this could be fixed with a couple of transmission flushes and some 8 figures drives, so I did, but on my last change I used this Vollsynthetisches Getriebeöl (GL-5) SAE 75W-90 fully synthetic as recommended from Liqui Moly web site, ( this is expensive on comparison); on the first week of use, shifts felt smoother and torque bind wasn’t present, yesterday I was full of confidence and happy with how I felt the transmission, so I took my car on a mountain drive, when I notice some steering shaking when Applying power and BOOM torque bind is back with a vengeance, I’m hoping to spare a costly transmission rebuilt. Any Ideas? I found somewhere I recommendation for Lubegard 63010 Platinum Universal ATF Protectant, 10 oz. thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts