Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

loyal Outbacker soon to be Forester owner

886 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bellatech 
#1 ·
hello!
here are my stats:
-owned a '94 Legacy Outback (for 5 years) sold at 180k
-owned an '85 Westfalia w/2.2 Subaru engine, loved it but sold it before i lost money on it :)
-currently I own (for 6 years) a '97 Outback Limited at 170k in fair condition looking to sell it

Foresters have caught my eye this time around...because of higher cargo space and a wee taller clearance.

I will be test driving a '98 Forester L that has 41,000 miles tomorrow. i have seen the car but not driven and it is literally brand new looking. It's amazing to see that old of a car in such good condition...not even parking lot digs on the door. Older lady bought the car new, regualrly serviced, and returned all at the same dealer so they have all documentation of services. Of course they have a $9999 price on it but that seem rediculous to me.

here are my questions for you fine Forester friends:

1) what do you think this 98 Forester should be priced at?

2) I keep reading about head gasket issues. the car will run thru the shop tomorrow morning and the dealer has said he will replace head gasket if any issues. should i be worried either way about this?

3) is there anything else I should be worried about buying an 12 year old car with only 41,000 miles?

It is kind of hard to only be going to a 98 from a 97 but if i could get it for around $4000-$5000 it would be perfect for my budget and the milage would give me peace of mind.

Thanks ahead of time for any of your thoughts and time!

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.