Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at lowering the ride height a little. If I was to keep the original shocks could I stick on some classic impreza lowering springs or are they incompatible? Also, I've noticed the odd post about self leveling rear suspension and that lowering springs in themselves would be ineffective. Would I have this rear leveling thing on my MY00 Forester s turbo?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
YeFUrs you can use WRX springs on Forester struts but it will kill them in no time. Best off swaping to WRX struts as well. Will give about 50mm drop.

On an SG, you can spot SLS struts because they have a canister the size of a redbull can on the side of them. If you want to lower the car using Forester specific springs, you'll need to swap the struts out too.

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Seems the way forward is replacement springs and struts. I've heard that newage struts can be a bit problematic reliability wise. By wrx you mean newage stuff?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Yes, newage Impreza.... the later (2005 on) struts are inverted so can stick but it's easily solved and they are much improved over the older struts

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm looking at a set of standard blobeye (2003) shocks and springs, I take it these would fit? How much would I be lowering by approx?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
They definately fit an SG and I think they fit an SF... I'm sure someone can confirm or deny that. They lower an SG about 2 inches, I guess it'd be a similar amount on an SF

·
Registered
2001 forester s turbo
54 Posts
WRX SPRINGS AND SHOCKS

I swapped the sls system on my 2001 s-turbo with 2001 bugeye WRX springs and shocks recently.

It keeps it subaru instead of aftermarket and fitted without any real problems.

The inside edge of my tyres were worn away but once I had the alignment and tracking done at a garage I trust it handles great.

New tyres from my brother and a lowered wrx suspension from eeeebay and the car looks and drives far better than before.

Here are the before and after pics.

img080.jpg img083.jpg

I would recomend this as a cheaper option to start with.

:woohoo:scooby69

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good scooby69!

I'm looking at 2 sets on eeeebay. Both blobeye set ups, one £280 for a set and the other £150. The cheaper one has knackered rear top mounts. The vendor reckons whoever buys them can use existing top mounts on their car. But my motor being a classic I don't know if the top mounts would be compatable with his shocks.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Should be... if you can wait a couple of weeks, I'll have a full set of 07 plate WRX shocks for sale for £300. The rears are sticking at the moment but I will sort that out be for I sell them... they've covered less than 17k miles and the units themselves are in tip top shape.

Not sure what postage would be but I can find out. Only swapping them out as I need my ground clearance back.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I've got 2001 Impreza struts and springs on my 99 sturbo. The only thing I had to change was rear tophats, a straight swap from the Fozzie to the Pretzals. It's lower by about 2". The only problems Iv'e had is when I have several people in the car and it scraping on speedbumps. Drives a lot nicer, no rolling on corners.

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a little out of my budget as I've got loads to do, thanks for the offer.

The cheaper set I'm looking at the guy reckons his struts will fit my existing top mounts. He also said that all struts were the same size until 2005. Would I achieve any lowering at all using my own rear top mounts?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Yes, the lowering is in the springs and struts rather than the top hats.

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the advice guys. I've just sent payment off for the set. I've only got the alloys, droplinks, subframe bolts, remap, vf35, exhaust, fuel/oil pump to go!

Will put some pics etc when I eventually finish :)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I've only got the alloys, droplinks, subframe bolts, remap, vf35, exhaust, fuel/oil pump to go!
Don't forget the STI rear anti-roll bar! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had ordered a rollbar already ;)
Deebom, did you use your Forester top hats with the wrx struts? The ones I've ordered I plan to use my Forester hats.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
I swapped the sls system on my 2001 s-turbo with 2001 bugeye WRX springs and shocks recently.

It keeps it subaru instead of aftermarket and fitted without any real problems.

The inside edge of my tyres were worn away but once I had the alignment and tracking done at a garage I trust it handles great.

New tyres from my brother and a lowered wrx suspension from eeeebay and the car looks and drives far better than before.

Here are the before and after pics.

View attachment 24500 View attachment 24501

I would recomend this as a cheaper option to start with.

:woohoo:scooby69
Can you please clarify which setup you used - wagon or sedan wrx? Did you use your tompounts or Impreza's? A friend of mine is looking for installing KYB AGX and wants to lower the car as well, so I was wondering if wrx 01 AGX with coil springs would be ok. I've heard that rear struts from WRX sedan would make the rear lower then front - don't know if it is true though. Or maybe we should install Impreza 96-2000 AGX suspension?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
3 Posts
lowering

YeFUrs you can use WRX springs on Forester struts but it will kill them in no time. Best off swaping to WRX struts as well. Will give about 50mm drop.

On an SG, you can spot SLS struts because they have a canister the size of a redbull can on the side of them. If you want to lower the car using Forester specific springs, you'll need to swap the struts out too.
can you please help me. I want to lower my 2001 forester L. could you tell me what i need to buy? i want to do it right so im asking someone with experience. my mechanic will help me put them on correctly (springs and struts) but i am not sure which ones exactly to buy. I have a budget so if i could get away with changing the springs alone that would be great. thanks

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Hi guys,

nmisko, as yours is an USDM SF, it probably doesn't have self leveling suspension which means you can get away with just fitting lowering springs. As you're US based, Swift springs are most likely your best bet and will give you around 1 inch drop. You could fit Impreza WRX or STi struts which will give you approx. 2 inches for the WRX struts and 3 inches for the STi ones. On for WRX suspension on an SG, the most desired setup are sedan struts and wagon rear springs. STi struts obviously only come in sedan. I'm not sure if the same is true of the SF Foresters.

sirchaser, from your photo, yours looks like an s-turbo, s/tb or t/tb. In which case, it may well have self leveling rear suspension. Therefore, to lower it you will need to replace the rear struts as a minimum. IIRC, SLS rear shocks on an SF are green in colour.

In the EU, we're a bit limited on spring choice so the easiest option is to fit WRX or STi shocks. Mykp has fitted STi struts to his SF so may be better placed to tell you which model years will work, I think it's basically a case of whatever model year you have, the corresponding Impreza model should fit... mine was an SG which meant that more or less anything from a Newage Impreza worked.

If you didn't want to drop the car as much as Impreza struts (approx. 50mm) then King Springs import to the EU via France (I have the importer's email address somewhere if you want it) or as I did, get a local manufacturer to make some for you - I went with stock height and approx 20-30% stiffer, with progressive rate rears.

If you are lowering the car for handling improvements, one thing to be careful of is going too low... 3 inches is regarded as being about as low as is worth going. Any lower and you drop the roll centre too much and will have a negative impact on handling.

Cheers

Gigs

EDIT: reading Scooby69's post above, seems newage struts will work on an SF too. Shame you guys aren't UK based as I have a lovely set of freshly greased MY07 struts for sale ;o(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts