Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me a good setup to lower my Forester? I am new at all of this car mod stuff and I get kind of lost when I read the threads about it.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
I have learned that GF/GC stuff doesn't bolt up in the rear. I thought it did because Angry Toaster was using a GC specific setup on his SF but I recently found a post where he said he swapped the rear tophats to GD style.
The Impreza stuff you need to look for is GD/GG, wagons takeoffs being preferable to keep from getting donkey sag due to the extra weight of the rear of the Forester.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have learned that GF/GC stuff doesn't bolt up in the rear. I thought it did because Angry Toaster was using a GC specific setup on his SF but I recently found a post where he said he swapped the rear tophats to GD style.
The Impreza stuff you need to look for is GD/GG, wagons takeoffs being preferable to keep from getting donkey sag due to the extra weight of the rear of the Forester.
Wow your car is EXACTLY what I want mine to look like. I might just get a 2002 now and copy you haha. So what parts am I going to need to get out of the impreza? and what does GD/GG refer to? And where would I find these parts? Pretend you are explaining this to a 9 year old cause that is what my experience level is. Thank you so much for the help!

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
There's WRX wagon take offs on I-club right now! just fyi!

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Wow your car is EXACTLY what I want mine to look like. I might just get a 2002 now and copy you haha. So what parts am I going to need to get out of the impreza? and what does GD/GG refer to? And where would I find these parts? Pretend you are explaining this to a 9 year old cause that is what my experience level is. Thank you so much for the help!
Skip the GC/GF parts too much hassle trying to piece together a setup using different years.
GD/GG is a 2002-2007 WRX sedan/wagon. Their suspensions will bolt right up and lower your SF ~3" or so. Check on Nasioc in the classifieds section, it's the biggest used parts marketplace for Subarus so it's your best bet. Look for a set of complete, assembled takeoffs(struts/springs/tophats) to simplify the whole process otherwise you'll have to make sure you get the correct hats, springs, and struts which can be tough to do if you're looking for used parts. Takeoffs with decent mileage(45-60k) can usually be found for $150-175.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
GD/GG is a 2002-2007 WRX sedan/wagon. Their suspensions will bolt right up and lower your SF ~3" or so.
My son has a '99 Forester S and used the suspension from an '04 STi and Whiteline sway bars front and back. With a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 (I think 235/45-17) on Rota Tarmac 3s (17x8) that thing this handles like it is on rails on pavement.

It is so predictable and handles so well he won his first Rally-X with it in a field of WRXs and STis. He was running the stock 16s and a set of Blizzak WS6s for that.

You can see the ride height and lack of body roll in this video.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Stupid question, but wouldn't GD/GG describe ANY Impreza from 02-07 and not just WRX's???

Also, what's the difference in ride height between WRX takeoffs and STI takeoffs??
Sorry for the confusion.
You are correct, GD/GG is any Impreza 02-07. I pointed out WRXs since their takeoffs are easiest to come by vs an STi and make more of a handling improvement over a 2.5i due to their slightly stiffer valving and springs.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Could anyone tell me a good setup to lower my Forester? I am new at all of this car mod stuff and I get kind of lost when I read the threads about it.

02-03 WRX struts (we used wagon struts) or KYB-GR2
WRX-specific blue Prodrive lowering springs

·
Registered
10 Posts
^ Very nice SF.

The Forester seems to be a very unique and lucky car. A complete and vastly improved suspension system can simply be... bolted on. Awesome. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks SO MUCH for all the replies and advice. I am going to look into some of your suggestions and will post any questions that I have. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
02-03 WRX struts (we used wagon struts) or KYB-GR2
WRX-specific blue Prodrive lowering springs
I really like your setup. Are there a certain type of WRX-specific blue Prodrive lowering springs that I should look for? Or is there only one type? Also why did you choose the Prodrive springs over the stock WRX ones? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I really like your setup. Are there a certain type of WRX-specific blue Prodrive lowering springs that I should look for? Or is there only one type? Also why did you choose the Prodrive springs over the stock WRX ones? Thanks!
Honestly, no particular reason other than that my husband was a Prodrive dealer at the time, and Prodrive sponsored this set of springs for us. Unfortunately they're hard to find these days (you might keep an eye on the used market or check eBay, where Cosworth is now liquidating their remaining US inventory), but there are plenty of other good brands out there (Swift comes to mind). Just make sure that the springs match the struts you choose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, no particular reason other than that my husband was a Prodrive dealer at the time, and Prodrive sponsored this set of springs for us. Unfortunately they're hard to find these days (you might keep an eye on the used market or check eBay, where Cosworth is now liquidating their remaining US inventory), but there are plenty of other good brands out there (Swift comes to mind). Just make sure that the springs match the struts you choose.
and how would I make sure the springs match the struts? what specs should I look for and compare?

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
02-03 springs require 02-03 rear tophats, 04+ springs require 04+ rear tophats. The older springs are basically one diameter from top to bottom whereas the newerones get narrower at the top.
Struts are different too, 02-03 needing 02-03 rear tophats and 04 requiring 04+ rear tophats. If you end up with a set of 02-03 struts and 04+ tophats and springs, you can just pick up a set of Scooby921 spacers for the rear from TiC to make the setup work.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I looking to seek out what I need to lower an 07, got 109,000 on the clock and when the factory struts blow, gonna slam it down a few inches.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
7 Posts
Looks great, a lowered forester.
Although i think mine is going up just a bit.
Taking a speedbump is not the most fun of things to do.... :(
Going just @ 15 km/hour, the exhaust hits the ground...
but in the courners!!! (L) :D yeahhhh!!!

·
Registered
2000 forester
40 Posts
Skip the GC/GF parts too much hassle trying to piece together a setup using different years.
GD/GG is a 2002-2007 WRX sedan/wagon. Their suspensions will bolt right up and lower your SF ~3" or so. Check on Nasioc in the classifieds section, it's the biggest used parts marketplace for Subarus so it's your best bet. Look for a set of complete, assembled takeoffs(struts/springs/tophats) to simplify the whole process otherwise you'll have to make sure you get the correct hats, springs, and struts which can be tough to do if you're looking for used parts. Takeoffs with decent mileage(45-60k) can usually be found for $150-175.
I want to know for sure if the 03 Wrx Sedan springs and shock will bolt up to my 2000 foz directly for sure because im going to pick up some for 80.... please let me kno asap guys.....:biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts