Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been an owner fora while, but new to the forums. I own a 2000 Forester L.
I've read through some posts and it says 04' impreza sti springs would be compatible to lowering my car, and dropping it 3.5".

But, i contacted Rallitek and they said to me that 04' impreza wagon stock springs would give me also roughly a 3-3.5inch drop on my car. a friend was also telling me that lowering springs would drop it more, but it looks as if it would drop it too much. :/

I know what struts to get, i just need to know a good way to lower my car. ive been told sedan springs would make my back end drop more because of the back weight (which i dont want of course).

So could someone tell me of verify if 04 impreza sti OR 04 stock impreza wagon springs will work, and the perfect drop? or if there are other springs what would work better? your info would greatly be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Spring selection will depend on the struts you end up using.

Stan

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually, i will probably do Stock Impreza springs, would anyone know a particular strut other then KYB GR2 ones that might be somewhat cheaper?

or a set of coilovers that would work well?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
GR2s are pretty cheap, what's your price range? You could get a set of used Impreza struts, that would be cheaper.

With suspension, sometimes it's best to set your budget, set a goal and see how close you can come to your goal within your budget.

Stan

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GR2s are pretty cheap, what's your price range? You could get a set of used Impreza struts, that would be cheaper.

With suspension, sometimes it's best to set your budget, set a goal and see how close you can come to your goal within your budget.

Stan
i see. well i know the springs would roughly come out to almost $400. i guess like between like $800-$900.

and, stock impreza wagon struts would work also? that would save me much money

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
$400 for springs is way too much, unless they are made from titanium or silver. What springs are you looking at?

You can probably get a set of OEM WRX takeoff struts and springs for $200 or less. For $800-$900 you can get a set of new adjustable struts and good springs.

Stan

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$400 for springs is way too much, unless they are made from titanium or silver. What springs are you looking at?

You can probably get a set of OEM WRX takeoff struts and springs for $200 or less.

Stan
lol guess i really dunno nothin.
just dont want to put a dent in my pocket. ill go cheapest i can find then.

i can definatley do oem.
like from what year and model wrx? a wagon? or does it matter if its a sedan or not?

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5 spd
77 Posts
I spent hours looking into what fits and what doesn't. I went with 02 wrx lowering springs. They were no names off of ebay. You can get b+g's which are a better brand for about $100 more. Tire rack was the cheapest I could find for stock 02 wrx struts. I went all sedan parts. Less then $400 for everything. All you have to do is swap the tophats to the new setup. You will have saggy butt and I used diy 3/8 spacers and soil spring spacers from autozone. I went cheap because I paid $950 for the car and was not going to put $800.in suspension mods. Send me a pm if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Automatic
5 Posts
lowering 2000 forester

been searching around forums on the best way to lower my 2000 forester. After much research i decided to go with 2003 kybgc2 wrx sedan struts with stock struts and if need be will order different springs.
My question is dop they make a 3/8' spacer to raise the top hot screws from the frame or is diy parts teh way to do it
Thanks
Kameron

·
Registered
2001 Forester L 5MT
186 Posts
Hmm I literally took 06 wrx suspension w/ eibach sportline springs and bolted them on..

Not sure why ppl are mixing and matching parts from diff year cars..

I know with the 03+ Foz you have to swap the rear top hats over..

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/slamming-forester-119088/

The rest of the stuff was to align the control arm properly after the drop. I dont think you can do the extra stuff like I did since yours is an Automatic and the trans will hit the tunnel..

Did it all for like $200..

But if you were going to spend and real amount of money def go coilovers. you can raise and lower the car as you see fit along with dampening and preload adjustments. I recommend ISC Coilovers for $955 if you are going new.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Automatic
5 Posts
Just looking for something cheap and a lil bit of low and still off road. I know I can get coilovers and spend a grand. I have an 04 evo that's on coilovers and other goodies, just want to have the forester sit right at a decent price. If I can swap an 03 suspension from a wrx over an just swap top has for around $150 I won't complain haha. Did you have to swap top hats wen you put 06 wrx suspension on?

·
Registered
2001 Forester L 5MT
186 Posts
No I didnt swap anything. Just took them off the 06 and bolted them to my 01 Foz.

If you are looking for lower but still have some ground clearance just find a set of stock wrx wagon suspension and call it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L 5 Speed
10 Posts
If you are looking for lower but still have some ground clearance just find a set of stock wrx wagon suspension and call it.
How much lower do you think a stock WRX wagon set up will be? I've read everything from an inch to 3.5 inches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts