Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered my SF and the height is exactly where I want it. I've been reading about removing the front spacers and some people seem to think that doing so will lower the front end. I'm trying to visualize what will happen if I remove the subframe spacers up front, and I don't see how it could effect the ride height at all. Can someone explain how exactly the height is effected by removing the spacers?

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
The subframe spacers help the engine and/or transmission to keep it more inline with everything else, like the driveshafts and axles. It's to ease what little more strain is put on the components. It should do nothing to ride height.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
I just lowered my SF and the height is exactly where I want it. I've been reading about removing the front spacers and some people seem to think that doing so will lower the front end. I'm trying to visualize what will happen if I remove the subframe spacers up front, and I don't see how it could effect the ride height at all. Can someone explain how exactly the height is effected by removing the spacers?
Am I missing something here? Your profile says your SF is an automatic. If that's the case, you don't have subframe spacers.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Am I missing something here? Your profile says your SF is an automatic. If that's the case, you don't have subframe spacers.
Can you post a pic of what you're referring to? I had a 2001 Auto and I was pretty sure, or at least thought, I had em.

EDIT:

I had these on my 2001 Auto. Is that what you are both referring to?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You are correct, height will stay the same but subframe/engine/tranny/control arm mount points will move up.

Stan

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
I'd leave em in. You'll run the risk of your tranny rubbing on the tunnel. Then you'll have lots of noise and vibration coming in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
The EPIC STi springs.

BFlan, how low is the car? Did you get Erich's setup? If so, a roll center adjustment kit will help.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Cool. He is the 4th Forester on here to use those springs then lol

Cheap improvement would be to put some HDPE 1/4" tophat spacers on the front. With rake those springs provide and your heavier 4EAT I bet you could even go 1/2" before noticing much sag.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Cool. He is the 4th Forester on here to use those springs then lol

Cheap improvement would be to put some HDPE 1/4" tophat spacers on the front. With rake those springs provide and your heavier 4EAT I bet you could even go 1/2" before noticing much sag.

Stan
Thought you got them new? Or from Brandon?

I had 3/8" spacers on the back which got transferred as well, and my car sat extremely even.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
No, they came from another member in Idaho. These are 2 of very few pictures of my car with those springs without any spacers, most of the time I ran them with 1" or 1/2" spacers. Looks pretty even here, I must have had a full tank of gas, plus 100lbs of Dog.

Here is what it looked like with 1" spacers:

I'd say, run it as-is for a while. If you like the spacers in the back keep'em, I never ran rear spacers only with those springs.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
Yeah, there are subframe spacers on the auto SF foresters, but there are reports on here that if you remove the subframe spacers on am auto SF your transmission will touch your transmission tunnel and seriously increase your NVH.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I snapped this pic on my way home from Erich's house (thanks again man!). It looks a little saggy in the rear because the trunk is loaded with tools and the old suspension. With everything unloaded it is dead level. It also hasn't settled yet so it may be a little lower in a week or so. I couldn't be happier with the ride quality and I haven't even done the LCA kit, its totally stock besides the springs and struts.

I will eventually remove the subframe spacers, a local shop said if I used the wrx trans crossmember and steering linkage that I wouldn't have to worry about the auto trans interference. I'm planning on doing the LCA kit, spacer removal, and possibly the STi rack all at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts