Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Flat 6 5MT 4.44
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some 07 WRX struts and tophats with only 25k on them off of ebay for $95 and that was plus shipping. My bro gave me his set of 04 STi springs that he has had forever. Had a time installing them and even the wife lent a hand. Night and day difference for handling and the body roll has almost completely vanished. The only bad side is that my wife hates that I lowered the car 3 inches. Welp here are the picks of before and after. Tell me what you think.

NEW STRUTS & SPRINGS

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Next up: 02 WRX rear swaybar (20mm)
Rally Armor Mudflaps
Ralliteck P6 ECU

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
It is great, isn't it? My wife did not oppose the lowering program here at all as she understood the difference. The car is so much more responsive during turn-in and stable. It may still need a sway bar or two to really solidify it, but it's night and day better at this stage.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Next up: 02 WRX rear swaybar (20mm)
Rally Armor Mudflaps
Ralliteck P6 ECU
Use the 04 STI 20mm rear sway bar. Even our NA Foresters seem to be running 04 STI compatible suspension (rear, don't try turbo front sway bars). Don't forget the mounts and the brackets since you're lowered.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
31 Posts
Maybe get a wife that is onboard with modding cars??
J/K. I am fortunate indeed to have one that understands modding, and actually auto-x her fozz. Lower center of gravity FTW!!

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
Maybe get a wife that is onboard with modding cars??
J/K. I am fortunate indeed to have one that understands modding, and actually auto-x her fozz. Lower center of gravity FTW!!
aint that the truth..... mines is always talking about which car are we buying parts for next .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I have a slight rear sag but I cant really tell. Probably going to get some saggy butt spacers just in case one develops. I went to and autox while home on leave and tried to get the wife to drive but she wouldnt. She is into big trucks and suv's. She wants an escalade. I just want an FXT. Once I become an officer hopefully we can both be happy. And the only reason I'm not going with and STi swarbar is because my brother is giving me his off his wrx when he upgrades. I cant pass up free parts considering he has already given me an STi shortshifter, Karboy rear shifter bushing, his stock wheels (got powdercoated for free) and calipers (when he upgrades them).

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I think I have a slight rear sag but I cant really tell. Probably going to get some saggy butt spacers just in case one develops. I went to and autox while home on leave and tried to get the wife to drive but she wouldnt. She is into big trucks and suv's. She wants an escalade. I just want an FXT. Once I become an officer hopefully we can both be happy. And the only reason I'm not going with and STi swarbar is because my brother is giving me his off his wrx when he upgrades. I cant pass up free parts considering he has already given me an STi shortshifter, Karboy rear shifter bushing, his stock wheels (got powdercoated for free) and calipers (when he upgrades them).

Measure from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender on the front and back. Im about 3/8" low in the back on wrx springs/struts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I have butt sag with '05 STi springs. I got over it quick, if you like the handling as-is, I wouldn't add spacers -- stock STis have butt sag too.

Stan

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
There's a difference between the WRX 20mm and STI 20mm in the width (and also the way it sits IIRC). The WRX one should come up short but you could always give it a try and see.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the only reason Im lower is because the tires on the rims are only a 205. They dont come in 215 or whatever the stock size tire is. So when my bro bought them he stepped down in size. I have already scraped my mudflaps a couple of times cause they are redoing the road outside our house and there is a huge diff between the old road and the new one. As for the swaybar, Ill try it and if it dont work then Ill shell out the 100 bucks for a STi one. Im just trying to MOD on the cheap and so far I have only spent about 900 bucks on parts and 600 of that was for my catback.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
The wrx bar won't fit right. It's designed to use droplinks that bolt to the bottom of the lateral links and is a different width (its the same setup as 02 and earlier SF models, SG 03+ foresters basically use lifted STI suspension/geometry).

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Check around NASIOC or IWSTI from time to time.. I got my 04 STI bar for free before I traded it for a Cobb so anything's possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok didnt know that about the suspension. Thnx though saved me some time just to find out it wont work. Im constantly looking on nasioc for used junk but things go really quick. Would his calipers be a direct swap or would i need brackets and different rotors.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
35 Posts
What size of tires are you running? The height looks good! :rock:

I installed a set of JDM STI Spec.C my06 struts and springs and now my skid plate is really skidding on speed bumps... Might have to go back on originals for the winter. My tires are 225/45-17 and the car seems to sit a bit lower than yours.

edit: ok, i saw the post about the size

1 - 20 of 36 Posts