Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Ninja
2011 2.5X Premium Auto
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Subaru dealership claims I need new lower balls joints. I jacked it up and personalty cant feel any wiggle in the wheel. I am going to bring it in for a 2nd opinion, but based off how little there seems to be on this in the forum I cant imagine its something that is replaced terribly often.

I am heading up to the BWCA Friday early so slightly worried about the diagnosis.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Were you having any issues that brought it to their attention? Vibrations etc? If the boots are intact and there isn't any play they should be fine.

·
Resident Ninja
2011 2.5X Premium Auto
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a "free inspection" with a oil change and they had mentioned several items which did actually need attention, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc.

I have no issues with vibration and the boots appear to be intact. The only issue I do notice from time to time is a clunk if I hit a big bump, which after hearing about the LBJ made me think about it a little more.

·
Resident Ninja
2011 2.5X Premium Auto
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well did a little more testing and it appears that the only time the clunk happens is while turning left and hitting a bump at the same time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't replace the lower ball joint unless the boot is destroyed or you can move the wheel by hand. What do your tie rods look like?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts