Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i drive at a slow speed and turn my wheel more than 3/4 round i get a vibrating / groaning sound; IE pulling into parking spaces. I was told the noise seems to be coming from the rear.

I put the Fuse into FWD slot and the problem went away. By doing this have i narrowed the search down to what it could be? I was told if the noise stops when its in FWD mode then the problem is in the trans, and if it contines while in FWD mode its in the diff.

The Subaru mechanic reckons its possibly the 4wd lock up solenoid, but find it hard to believe with the vehicle only done 35500kms.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2002 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this were the case then the theory of putting the car in FWD mode and isolating the problem to the trans is not correct?

·
Registered
2002 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe so. I hear those are super expensive.
Car has a 3 year Warranty and is only 2 weeks old so i am covered under the consumer guarantees act to have this fixed.

But as most dealers are hopeless and always try say the problem is normal im trying to do as much research so i have a leg to stand on when he trys telling me its normal.

I have read so many forums with this very issue but no clear solutions to any of them or their findings. So when you say putting the car into FWD is no way of isolating the problem, is this from an opinion or a mechanical background knowledge?

Cheers

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Don't be too quick to pull the trigger on a new center diff. People usually jump to this right away, but check the simple stuff first. There was another thread EXACTLY like this a couple of weeks ago, and the symptoms were identical. Turned out to be a slightly bent bracket in the rear. The dealer re-bent the bracket and the groan/noise/vibration is fixed.

The only time I would say it's the center diff is if you are "hopping" or the car is really juttering in the corners. But if it's just a vibration or humming that is more sensed than felt, then I would look into the bushings/mounts/brackets, etc.

Here's a link to that thread.....

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/new-noise-not-sure-if-normal-72028/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts