Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 6 months I've been running 225/50/17 snow tires due to my location. I've forgotten the joy of summer tires - I just put summer tires on the Forester and my god it turns this car into something else - even though I don't like 4EAT it makes it bearable.

I'm using now-discontinued Bridgestone RE-01R extreme summer tires because it came with the 04 STi BBS wheels that I bought last year. The size is 225/45/17 because the previous owner bought it for his 04 STi. Incidentally I have the same tires on my 06 STi and have no complaints.

I could careless about the looks because I'm on FSTi springs and it is not THAT bad. I'd rather have stiffer sidewall than squishy tires filling up the wheel gap to be honest.

The problem however is that with this size my speedo is about 5% off, which I consider a little bit too much. I don't think I want to buy summer tires in 225/50 or 225/55 because it will be squishy just like my snow tires (Michellin Alpin 3's). Even RE-01R's are not that stiff for me because I come from using RE-070's that came stock on my 06 STi (RE-070 is also known as rolling bricks :icon_biggrin:)

Can you guys recommend me super stiff 225/50/17 tires? I'm thinking such tire does not exist, which means I have to go up in size and get 18" rims. I'm thinking about picking up 18" Rota gravels with 225/45/18's, but I'd rather not shell out $1,500 if I can help it..

ETA - here is a pic of the car with 225/45/17's on

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
If you want stiffer sidewalls without dropping your ride height due to the wheel gap, go with the 18s...that is what I do :icon_wink:...I keep the 17s for winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts