Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for some advice here. I'm looking for some recommendations on some low profile ramps for working on the car. Something that doesn't have such a steep approach angle and will work for lowered cars. Now that the LGT has a front lip and is lowered on Bilsteins/Pinks, my trusty old Rhino ramps are basically useless for me now. I do have jackstands, but much prefer (and feel safer) working with the car on ramps.

Here's how she's sitting right now:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I've never seen ramps that will work on a car that low, but I used to take 2 pieces of 2x8 about 3 feet long and set them about 1/2 way up my ramps to "extend" them for my lowered Cavalier. Worked good and easy to store. I had "L" brackets mounted to them that locked them into small holes 1/2 way up the ramp so they didn't kick out.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
it's been awhile since I've had to worry about this issue. :biggrin:
On my old jetta I couldn't get more than my hand under the front.. to get onto ramps you are going to either need long run-up boards, creative use of curbs, or use a lowpro jack to get it up and then put it down onto the top of the ramps.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
If the Blitz ones will clear, they're likely your most affordable, ready-to-go solution.

They sorta straddle the divide between standard and true low-profile ramps.

jgrote and flstffxe's old-school methods will work just fine - is tried and true in many sports-car communities (heck, remember that awesome TopGear episode, when the guys were trying to get the Zonda out of a French parking structure? same idea, only in reverse :lol:) - and in addition to the latter's cited Mustangworld reference, there's also these videos:

- to help you along, if you're the DIY type and/or a visual learner. :smile:

If you've got the dough, RaceRamps are truly a very nice guilty-pleasure kind of thing. I got myself the two-piece 56-inch ramps (RR-56-2). Their website has a guide to help you determine which ramps will work for you - and if the standard one isn't low enough, their Xtenders can even further cut the approach angle.

The RR-56-2s *just* clears my LGT, which is dropped with iON progressives (currently on factory struts/shocks, but it'll soon be a set of Koni inserts - all the parts have been lined-up for months, I just haven't had time! :redface:), on either 225/45/17 or 225/40/18 tires, with front clearance further limited by the RavSpec "BlackTop Aero VLimited Style" polyurethane STi replica lip.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
i have to do the same thing.. haven't found a set of ramps that works that is affordable :( luckily my matrix can still use my rhino ramps

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those blitz ramps look like they might work for me. Gonna see if Autozone or Advanced has any in stock. And then if they'll let me test drive on them to see if they'll work :biggrin:.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,724 Posts
I got my first set of Blitz Rhino ramps from NAPA & the second set on-line. For some jobs, having all 4 wheels up on ramps is the way to go! :wink:

Griots Garage has some low profile ramps. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my first set of Blitz Rhino ramps from NAPA & the second set on-line. For some jobs, having all 4 wheels up on ramps is the way to go! :wink:

Griots Garage has some low profile ramps. :smile:

Bobby...

Damn some of those are pricey! Thanks for the link though, if I can't find the Blitz locally or they won't work, might look into those $70 steel ramps.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ I think that some of those other ones are made-for-Groits-licensed RaceRamps...the specs are awfully similar, and they look to be identical, too.

Seriously, if the Blitz won't work - and you might want to think about "bridging" it with some wood - I'd consider that $70 set from Groits. Looks promising.

·
Administrator
38,724 Posts
I agree, the Groits Garage ramps are on the spendy side. :icon_eek:

I love the Blitz Rhino ramps. They're light weight & have a rubber grip on the front so it won't slide away from the tire. I have a floor jack, so sometimes I'll jack up the vehicle & slide the ramps under the wheels & lower the wheels onto the ramps. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
38,724 Posts
^^ That sounds like the same one we have. They're light weight plastic, so they'll never rust. That rubber pad works great, keeping the ramp from sliding. I even bought a second set so I could have all 4 wheels up at the same time! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I don't think scoobydoobie can make it up those $40 ramps. I have the ramps too and my car is too low for it and scoobydoobie looks at about the same height (ground to lip).

·
Administrator
38,724 Posts
How low is he running? Our '95 Neon Sport is very low (6-8") & they work on it. :confused:

Perhaps he could put the ramps on the back of the front wheels & back onto them? :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have some regular rhino ramps that I've been using for years. At stock height with the lip, it was a challenge getting on those unless I found a 100% flat and even spot on the driveway (damn near impossible). Now now way. Possible that the blitz rhinos might work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts