Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check out the 2010 Forester today and really liked it.

I had read in many reviews that the passenger seat was too low. Sitting in it today, I totally saw what they meant. Its odd how low they made that seat. Its hard for a shorter person to see beyond the hood, especially if you have a turbo. So strange.

Its beyond me why Subaru would have made the seat in this way.

Has anyone figured out any interesting workarounds to this problem (other than sitting on a phonebook)?

·
Registered
246 Posts
how tall are you? Im not sure how important it is for your passengers to see as much as it is necessary for the driver to see...with me being 6'3 I have my seat as low as it can go!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Right.. it was never an issue for me either since I rarely ever sit over there. You could always source a drivers seat from a UK or Australian model that has the seat raise feature.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
Spacers under the seat rails ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not an issue for me but it would be nice if this car was also comfortable and convenient for my wife in the passengers seat!

·
Registered
2012 2012 Legacy 3.6R 5 sp. auto
101 Posts
It is low. If anything, Subaru should have at least made it height adjustable manually.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Right.. it was never an issue for me either since I rarely ever sit over there. You could always source a drivers seat from a UK or Australian model that has the seat raise feature.
I would be curious if anyone has done this and how it worked out with regard to the seatbelt location as well as seat control accessibility or any console interference with the controls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be curious if anyone has done this and how it worked out with regard to the seatbelt location as well as seat control accessibility or any console interference with the controls.
How would you even do such a thing? You need to actually purchase a seat and have it shipped from overseas? Ive got to believe that would get quite expensive!

Has anyone tried finding aftermarket seat cushions that can boost you up and are still comfortable?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spacers under the seat rails ?
Evol - Im not very mechanical so dont know what this means, entails. Is that something a mechanic could do? How complicated? What do you need in terms of materials?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
Not having looked at the Fozzie's seat rails yet (I will be looking at this when I get mine in a couple months), I would guess that they are just bolted onto the car frame like most cars.
My thought is to just unbolt the seat, and put some metal spacers in between the frame and seat rails, so that the seat is higher.

Think of it like this: Dinner table, kids, chair too low. You put a phone book under their butt so they are tall enough to see over the table. Well, instead of the phone book between their butt and the chair, you use 4 phone books, 1 under each chair leg. The result is the same. So now just think of the spacers I mentioned as the phone books, under the chair legs, in this case, the seat rails.

Depending on how thick the spacers are, you might need new bolts to hold the seat down PROPERLY. This is not something you want to do "half-assed".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will ask my mechanic to look and see what he thinks this. I guess the only concern is whether this will interfere with proper functioning of an airbag...

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Not having looked at the Fozzie's seat rails yet (I will be looking at this when I get mine in a couple months), I would guess that they are just bolted onto the car frame like most cars.
My thought is to just unbolt the seat, and put some metal spacers in between the frame and seat rails, so that the seat is higher.

Think of it like this: Dinner table, kids, chair too low. You put a phone book under their butt so they are tall enough to see over the table. Well, instead of the phone book between their butt and the chair, you use 4 phone books, 1 under each chair leg. The result is the same. So now just think of the spacers I mentioned as the phone books, under the chair legs, in this case, the seat rails.

Depending on how thick the spacers are, you might need new bolts to hold the seat down PROPERLY. This is not something you want to do "half-assed".
It's not that simple unfortunately as the rails are turned down at the ends and bolted in through the turned down sections, ie the bolts are almost parallel to the floor, not straight down. So it is impossible to just add spacers to raise the seat, some sort of bracket would have to be fabricated.

I have got around this by using a cheap $10 gel cushion that raises the seating position enough so my wife is happy. Its not a big change but without it she just feels she is sitting too low and not enjoying the view as much. Hence not enjoying the Forester, and we have to make sure everyone is happy :banana:

·
Registered
01 Forester 5MT
136 Posts
I will ask my mechanic to look and see what he thinks this. I guess the only concern is whether this will interfere with proper functioning of an airbag...
I don't think that should be a concern. I am sure the engineers at subaru have crash tested enough of them to deem the seating position safe for a passenger.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
There are a gazillion threads on this topic... you might want to have a look at some of them.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/right-hand-seat-height-09-fxt-46701/
Thanks for those, I found the one I relinked to be the most useful to me however I guess we all just need to wait for someone more adventurous to start a thread titled, "Installed a JDM Euro Electric passenger seat" because until someone does it, there is a lot of speculation involved as to what will be required.

I went out and sat in the passenger seat and it is uncomfortable for me, however the the electric drivers seat is not so I investigated why.

I am an old oak tree of a man at 6'1" and 250 lbs with broad shoulders and as much chest as gut and for me, the passenger seat would be fine if it were just raised 2" in order to allow my legs to fully rest upon the front edge of the seat. When I am driving I have no comfort issues because I am able to not only push the seat all the way back, but also to adjust the angle of the seat in order to accommodate my leg length and that allows my legs to rest on the front edge of the seat a bit. I have an average inseam so I am not "torso long" or anything and although I have much broader shoulders and a larger chest than average, none of my oddities would matter if the seat were a bit higher.

I have degenerative disks in my lower back and neck due to being "rode hard and put away wet" for many years so I am well aware of what a huge difference a slight change in seat positions can make over a long period of time and since I used to Prototype Yachts as well, I also have bit of knowledge when it comes to ergonomics and investigating this sort of thing and from my preliminary measurements, I have to say that other than needing to be raised 2" I don't see a huge issue with the passenger seat where comfort alone is concerned, however your body is likely different than mine and your mileage may vary.

If I were going to modify the seat for my wife and I alone, and she is much shorter by the way at 5' 1", I would raise the seat 2" and be done with it, however as many others have stated, I would also be concerned with the safety aspects of doing that and were I to use some sort of spacers or auxiliary rails, I would be keenly aware of bolts and other metal parts shearing off if they were not designed properly for strength or installed correctly because in the event of a catastrophic crash, bad things can happen with regard to improperly tested methods and materials, not to mention the airbag functionality.

I don't think this is something I would necessarily shy away from because in my case, the risk is worth the reward, however if I was only raising the seat so someone wouldn't look as short or could see the road better from the passenger seat, I would probably just get them a cushion and call it a day.

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
I agree. I have some elderly folks that I take out for rides, occasionally. They remark how easy it is to get into the front seat of my car, compared to others. The gel cushion sounds ideal for those who want to sit higher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts