Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem is particularly noticeable on hills. Revving up to ~3k RPM the car nearly stalls as the clutch engages. Once the clutch engages, acceleration is very sluggish.

Does this sound like the typical experience for the Foz?

[edit]
I will have the ECU flash done at the next service.
[/edit]

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
If your Hill Holder is adjusted improperly then it can/will hold too long. Your brand new car needs a warranty call.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
to deactivate the HH. Next time you are on a hill, while you are stopped pull up on the parking brake, with the transmission in neutral let out the clutch. Depress the clutch and put in first gear. Now throttle and release the parking brake while letting out the clutch. Remember driving a manual trans b4 there was a hill holder?

So, if the car takes off without the sluggishness you mentioned earlier then the HH needs adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Actually on the 2009+ you could rule out the Hill Holder(HH) just by pulling the parking brake up enough to cause the brake light on the dash to come on. The parking brake should not actually be engaged, just enough to make the light come on.

Unlike the previous years 2008 and down that had a mechanical HH, the 2009+ is electronic via the VDC/ABS. The time delay that it holds the brakes is adjustable but has to be done by a dealer via the SSMIII laptop.

You might be able to try this. The disable feature was added to the '09 STI, I am not sure if it made its way into the other models that share the same HH.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I didn't realize the new one is electronic based on time. on my 03x I can choose how much the HH holds by how hard I depress the brake. 20 years of driving with a HH and I'm spoiled

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
This problem is particularly noticeable on hills. Revving up to ~3k RPM the car nearly stalls as the clutch engages. Once the clutch engages, acceleration is very sluggish.

Does this sound like the typical experience for the Foz?

[edit]
I will have the ECU flash done at the next service.
[/edit]
I have experienced this on both my 2001 RX Liberty (aka Legacy) and my current 03 XS Forester and thought it was normal behavior due to the engine being loaded up upon release of the HH.

I too have been spoilt by the HH in the Subaru it was the first car I had ever come across that had it installed and couldn't imagine driving a car without it in the future.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually on the 2009+ you could rule out the Hill Holder(HH) just by pulling the parking brake up enough to cause the brake light on the dash to come on. The parking brake should not actually be engaged, just enough to make the light come on.
I'll try this, thanks! And thanks for all the replies. It concerns me if this is typical of the Forester. I haven't towed anything yet, but this might freak me out if were to do so. Also, it was just me in the car (light load). Add family and some luggage...not fun.

Any San Francisco drivers with a naturally aspirated Foz have any positive stories to tell?

Thanks again!

Russell

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
even the new hillholder is pressure-sensitive. The system only retains whatever brake pressure you apply while stopping. Jam your foot down and the HH will hold really tight and release with a jerk. Brake gently and you can "drive through" the HH as you take off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts