Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 04' FXT tuned with the below mod list. It only dynoed out at 270 HP 301 FT. Lbs. Tq..... Which seemed really low to me! I was running at 21 PSI on 93 octane fuel.

Do you think the tuner did a bad job? I took it to a shop that had a decent reputation with Subarus.. There are guys pulling way more on vf43s.. like the below link-

Any thoughts as to what the problem could be? I'm really upset since I just paid $400 to have it tuned. The tuner couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

Mod list-

Silver 04 XT w/59,0000 miles silver/black cloth

Engine:
Turbo XS TMIC
Brand new 18g w/ 8cm hotside
STI ecu
Open ECU tuning
Walbro 255 pump
PE 840 cc injectors
Gimmick turbo inlet and after-MAF
Grimmspeed Boost controller
Maddad whisper turbo back
Cobb uppipe
Ported manifolds w/crossover pipe
APS CAI 65mm
GFB BOV
TGV Deletes

Drivetrain:
Complete 04 STI 6spd conversion with hubs, axles and Brembos
STI Driveshaft
STI clutch
Starter
Grp N trans and pitch mounts
DBA rotors
Fully functional DCCD

Help Please!:icon_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
dude where is your dyno sheet. i just typed this long *** post and realized you have sum1 else's sheet up there that isnt even your car!?

you cant compare numbers to another car unless they were dyno'd b4 or right after yours. post up your sheet and we can give you a better answer. BTW DYNO NUMBERS ARE JUST THAT, NUMBERS. who gives a crap if its a 200whp 12 second car, or a 40owhp 12 second car?

bottom line is, how does the car drive? that is what is most important!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude where is your dyno sheet. i just typed this long *** post and realized you have sum1 else's sheet up there that isnt even your car!?

you cant compare numbers to another car unless they were dyno'd b4 or right after yours. post up your sheet and we can give you a better answer. BTW DYNO NUMBERS ARE JUST THAT, NUMBERS. who gives a crap if its a 200whp 12 second car, or a 40owhp 12 second car?

bottom line is, how does the car drive? that is what is most important!
I don't have my dyno sheet in DIGITAL form yet, I just have the piece of paper.

Like I said, it came out at 270 awhp and 301 Tq...

Could his dyno just be off?

I realize that numbers are just numbers but if i'm 50 hp. short of where I want to be, then I'm figuring that I'm not as fast as I could / should be.

I just dropped a bunch of money into the upgrade, and currently my HP is the same as before the mods!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
180 Posts
I don't have my dyno sheet in DIGITAL form yet, I just have the piece of paper.

Like I said, it came out at 270 awhp and 301 Tq...

Could his dyno just be off?

I realize that numbers are just numbers but if i'm 50 hp. short of where I want to be, then I'm figuring that I'm not as fast as I could / should be.

I just dropped a bunch of money into the upgrade, and currently my HP is the same as before the mods!
Did you dyno last time on the same dyno, same weather conditions, same tires, same air pressure, etc., etc.?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
also by just saying 270/300 doesnt tell us anything. what does the curve look like? any dips or spikes? does it hold hp to redline? what are the afrs? what rpm does it hit peak hp/tq? also for all we know, those 2 sheet can be different correction factors!

there are too many variables to compare your car to that other car. so take that other dynosheet and just chuck that idea out of the window. do you have the same mods? years? trannys? boost? gas? did he have a meth kit - not even mentioning the vaiables above. see where we r going w/ this....

do you own a camera or camera phone? take a camera and take a photo of the paper they gave you. waalaa - digital! then use photobucket and post it up :icon_wink:

·
Registered
4/07 wrx wagon/fozzy xt manual/auto
308 Posts
did you get a baseline from this dyno?

was there improvement?

are coming close to comparing apples to apples? someone elses fxt with very similar mods on the same dyno? or are you comparing your numbers to someone elses numbers from a dynapack, dynojet, mustang, etc?

does it feel fast? are you happy with how quick it is?
it'll be nice when people realize that dynos are tuning tools, not manhood rulers

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
first that tune doesnt look bad @ all! mustang dynos also read low, so there you go. you should try to find that guy w/ the vf43 and race him or both go to the track and compare times. i bet your 18g stomps him, depending on driver of course... or even goto the facility where he dynod cus its not the same place..

fyi - you are trying to compare YOUR numbers which are from a MUSTANG DYNO, and that other fxt w/ vf43 is from another facilitly w/ a DYNO DYNAMICS! of course there are going to be different!! :N_poke:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Like others said, there are tons of factors that can give you different numbers. A local guy I know with a 20G put down 390whp/400wtq on a local dynojet, but only 310/330 on a local Mustang dyno.

All that really matters is if the car runs good, pulls hard and is fun to drive! The only real way to find out your power level is to take a run down the 1/4 mile. Your trap speed is a very good indicator of your power level.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
As others have pointed out, you're trying to compare a mustang dyno to others. Mustangs read "low" in general. See if the shop will share other dyno plots with you of people w/ similar mod's or stockers to compare. Or at a minimum, only surf around compare yours w/ other mustang dyno sheets.

There are some odd ripples, which makes me wonder if the smoothing is turned down or if you have a little bit of timing getting pulled due to knock somewhere. Can you log yourself? If so, post some log files up so we can peek through them. Overall shape of your curve looks correct though.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Here...

vf39,sti tmic, bpv, uppipe, axleback, txs catless stealthback on 18psi on a Mustang dyno. Found in the dyno sheet thread.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
lol dyno sheets are only good for looking at the overall shape of the curve. The numbers mean -nothing-, even the same brand dyno will read differently, especially if they have different correction factors. You have to compare to other cars that were run on the exact same dyno.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
You should find a dyno that measures in Shetland ponies instead of Clydesdales if you're simply after high numbers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright... so your mustang dyno sheet proves some of what I am concerned about.

This vf39 with much less mods than I have (this car is sans a good IC, has an axelback exhaust, stock injectors, stock inlet, and a few other things). Is pulling the same as me.... so that is why I am concerned.

Perhaps the tuner didn't do a good job pulling the most HP out of my system?

Here...

vf39,sti tmic, bpv, uppipe, axleback, txs catless stealthback on 18psi on a Mustang dyno. Found in the dyno sheet thread.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
are you not paying attn?

we just got done telling you that you cant compare dyno numbers, unless it was the same machine, to be as accurate as possible - the same day... that dyno sheet above means absolutely nothing unless you got dyno'd @ the same facility!

if that vf43 car above, got dyno'd where you did and made that power, youd have something to be concerned about! stop getting caught up in the numbers. high reading dynos are the problem here. you are so used to seeing inflated vfXX numbers, you are doubting the power of your 18g. which flows much more air and will own a vf in everyway.

ill bet that if you find a vfxx dyno from your dyno facility, it wont make as much power as you...

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
You really need to log to know if the tuner did a good job. A dyno sheet tells you absolutely nothing aside from the shape of the powerband. See what your timing advance, A/F etc are. Also, peak HP doesn't tell you much, the area under the curve is more important than peak. Also tunes can vary alot depending on your supporting mods, and how close to the "edge" you want to run the tuning vs a reliable but less powerful tune.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You really need to log to know if the tuner did a good job. A dyno sheet tells you absolutely nothing aside from the shape of the powerband. See what your timing advance, A/F etc are. Also, peak HP doesn't tell you much, the area under the curve is more important than peak. Also tunes can vary alot depending on your supporting mods, and how close to the "edge" you want to run the tuning vs a reliable but less powerful tune.
I had him do a OpenECU Tune, instead of an accessport (which I own). I don't have the openecu cable yet, but can I still use my accessport to log with? I haven't unmarried the AP yet.

Also, my tuner said I can adjust the settings easily with open ecu (once I get the cable).. Are there any guides / resources for the optimal settings.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,748 Posts

Here's a two step dyno chart. The baseline was with a Vishnu tuned TD-04 turbo, and the cool day (65 degrees).

The larger numbers came from the same dyno with a VF-39 turbo, and a warmer day (88 degrees).

If we really wanted to compare, we'd drop by on a cool day and try it out now.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
picture of dyno print-----

First, I will back everyone that said you can't really compare numbers. A dyno is purely a measurement tool, and a qualitative one at that. The best you can do in comparing dyno sheets are the curve shapes...

BUT, I find these curves to be interesting. I wouldn't have expected the torque to fall off like that on a 18g 8cm on a 2.5L.

Why is the boost tapered? I'd have to map a 18g compressor again (its been a while and I don't have my data), but I didn't think you needed to taper to stay on the efficency island. I doubt that is the complete reason for the torque drop off. Your tuner was probably conservative on the timing on the top end.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts