Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 2.0 Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After replacing my alternator I ran into some issues with lighting.

Main Issue : Low Beams are not working at all.

What does work : High Beams, Fog Lights, DRLs, Rear Lights, Turn Signals.

Fuses are fine, Headlight Relays are fine, Removed steering column panel and checked the switch connected to the Toggle Switch, no sign of deformities or burns.

With the known knowledge of the Highbeams, fog lights, DRLs, Rear Lights, and turn signals working. What seems to be the issue? I tried replacing the bulbs as well.

Vehicle : 06 Forester XT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with my high beams and and Fog lights completely fine, I would still have Low Beam ground problems? I found no issues with any of my grounds.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,936 Posts
I posted the headlight system wiring diagram on that linked thread. You can use that to troubleshoot your specific problem.

If your DRL work, then the low beam bulbs are good.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much bobby, I just started with these forums and I have seen in everywhere. You're so committed and I love that in people in forums. :grin2:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,936 Posts
I posted that linked wiring diagram below... to make it easier to discuss the troubleshooting. :wink:

If the high beam & DRL are working, then there is +12V on MB2 & MB3, which comes from the headlight relays. That tells you the head light relays are good.

When the low beam is switched on, the DRL relay is operated, which bypasses the DRL resistor, providing full power to the low beams.

Curious... why did the alternator need to be replace & did you replace the alternator, or was that done by a shop? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,496 Posts
Also note that the headlights in the SG (2003-08) generation Foresters (and most other generations as well) are fed constant power on the top, and switched on the low side. So if there were a ground problem, it would be way down in the control circuitry, not up near the bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts