Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

This thread is related to the spare tire threads.

I think I have settled on using a ASA AR1 17" rim from for my full sized spare, packaged with a Geolander tire from Tirerack.

My questions is: On rims that make use of a air pressure sensor, as the AR1 does, do I need to install the sensor? What happens if I don't....do bells & whistles go off in the car telling me I have a flat?

How do those sensors work, anyway?

Any observations/suggestions appreciated.

rbecker
2010 Foz 2.5 P

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
Hello All-

This thread is related to the spare tire threads.

I think I have settled on using a ASA AR1 17" rim from for my full sized spare, packaged with a Geolander tire from Tirerack.

My questions is: On rims that make use of a air pressure sensor, as the AR1 does, do I need to install the sensor? What happens if I don't....do bells & whistles go off in the car telling me I have a flat?

How do those sensors work, anyway?

Any observations/suggestions appreciated.

rbecker
2010 Foz 2.5 P
There is a comprehensive thread on it. Do a search for TPMS.

On a Subaru, all the spinning tires need a sensor. The sensor turns on after X mph. If it's not registering, then the light will turn on.

Problem is, on a Subaru, you can only register 4 sensors at a time. so when you use the full sized spare, the light will turn on regardless of whether you have a sensor on it or not UNLESS you reprogram your TPMS unit, which you'll have to pay someone to do.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a comprehensive thread on it. Do a search for TPMS.

On a Subaru, all the spinning tires need a sensor. The sensor turns on after X mph. If it's not registering, then the light will turn on.

Problem is, on a Subaru, you can only register 4 sensors at a time. so when you use the full sized spare, the light will turn on regardless of whether you have a sensor on it or not UNLESS you reprogram your TPMS unit, which you'll have to pay someone to do.
I will do the search on TPMS but was in a big hurry this morning. Thanks for your reply.

I hate to reveal my ignorance, but I was concerned that something would physically prevent me from using such a spare if the sensor was not in place. It seems that the sensor is radio controlled. My fear was that it was somehow hooked up via a physical link where the actual air in the tire communicated via a conduit to some controlling mechanism within the vehicle itself. So not having a sensor might result in an uncontrolled air leak blah, blah, blah....

So is the bottom line this: I can use a wheel with TPMS without the sensor installed if I am willing to put up with the warning light. True or False?

I really need to educate myself about my Forester! And thanks much for helping a newbie!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
I can use a wheel with TPMS without the sensor installed if I am willing to put up with the warning light. True or False?
True. This is how the donut spare works, as it is not equipped with a TPMS sensor.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
So is the bottom line this: I can use a wheel with TPMS without the sensor installed if I am willing to put up with the warning light. True or False?
True.

:smile: A piece of tape works nicely.

But remember to check your tire pressures regularly!

----

ATEQ VT10 Universal Trigger Tool

^ Apparently, that'll trigger the TPMS sensor, but you'll still have to register the sensors via the dealership.

Does anyone know if there's been any open-source solutions? I am not very familiar with TPMS (I've got a home compressor and tire-pressure equalizer...and I check the pressures pretty often)...but the TireRack description seems to imply that this is something that can be done via the OBD-II interface. SSM protocol?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
There has been a bunch of info about the TPMS posted in this thread http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tpms-sensor-replacement-33939/ .

As for the tools they are not proprietary to Subaru, the technology has been out there long enough where we are starting to see a few relearn tools hit the market. The airaware (OEM) tools are pricey, I have seen a few after market ones in the <$150 range. This is not an open source item like OBDII

1 - 7 of 7 Posts