Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my car seeming to make a louder gurgly idle sound than usual. It might be in my head, but wanted someones opinion. Car is stock and I have not noticed any performace differences. The idle is steady, but it just seems louder in my cabin. Weirdly, I cant really hear it from the engine bay. Attached is a video. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your video is kind of quiet, but when I turn it up I can kind of hear a pulsating sound like 3 or 4 times per second. In the past, I've used a long (like 2 ft or better) screwdriver, putting the metal tip to the thing you want to listen to and put the plastic handle part up to your ear. If the thing you are pointed to is vibrating (making noise) at all, you will hear it in the handle. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your video is kind of quiet, but when I turn it up I can kind of hear a pulsating sound like 3 or 4 times per second. In the past, I've used a long (like 2 ft or better) screwdriver, putting the metal tip to the thing you want to listen to and put the plastic handle part up to your ear. If the thing you are pointed to is vibrating (making noise) at all, you will hear it in the handle. Good luck!
Yeah, sorry my audio sucks on my phone. But it is that pulsating sound you mentioned. Wondering if it is an indicator or something bad coming up. So far no check engine lights and I can't pinpoint were its coming from with the hood open. Thanks though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@masahiro my guess is something that is rotating quickly is making that noise. Best case would maybe be one of the pulleys being run by the belt, but you would be able to confirm or rule that out by listening with the probe like I suggested. Your year Forester has a timing belt, which also rotates quickly like that, but I'm not sure there's a way to check on that without opening the engine. A good mechanic could probably narrow it down without too much labor involved. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
ShadeTreeSubie
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing