Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have surmised that the rear wheel bearings are a royal PITA to replace as DIY ... but there is little or no mention of the fronts .

what is a normal replace internal for wheel bearings ?

I have a roar coming from the back end but not sure if it is a wheel bearing roar or just road noise . I git the car just befor winter so I haven't logged a lot of dry road miles .. and up until a week or so ago I always had the back cargo shade pulled that seems to muffle the noise .

I have heard that foresters resonate a lot of road noise through the cargo area
-- I guess I wanna make sure its bearings or road noise .Or if I should just make a preemptive strike and just replace em all now . at 100K miles it seems to be the replace point for 90% of the car and I have a little over 110K LOL .

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't find the rears all that tough to replace. I just swapped the entire hub out.
I was wondering about that --- I found rear hubs on ebay for like 90 bucks each ... which seems a far bit cheaper than the 400 + people are talking to have the bearing pressed out and back in ...

what the process to just yank the hub and replace it on a foz?

any clue on the fronts?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I haven't doen the fronts, but for the rears it is prety straight forward. You just undo a bunch of bolts. The only issue people have is dealign with the e-brake lines.Some have problems with WRX lines being a tad too long.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't doen the fronts, but for the rears it is prety straight forward. You just undo a bunch of bolts. The only issue people have is dealign with the e-brake lines.Some have problems with WRX lines being a tad too long.
do you need a slide hammer or something to remove or any special anything to get it back on ...

sorry to seem like it sounds to easy .. undoing a couple of bolts .. but nothing has been quite as easy on this car as I would like LOL .... strangely the whole timing belt water pump , pulleys was actually easier ... who would've thunk it !!

do you think I am better off doing both if I am doing one ?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If they've been roaring for a while, its probably better to just replace the whole knuckle assembly. If you're going to put used knuckles on, I'd probably get the bearings replaced before putting them on the car.

Fronts are unfortunately the same as the rear, in that to replace just the bearing or the bearing and hub, it has to be pressed in either by using a hubshark type tool or by pulling the knuckle and pressing a new bearing in with a shop press.

I'm referring to the hub as the part with the wheel studs that the axle bolts through, the knuckle as the big part that the wheel bearing sits in and has the calipers/struts bolted to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts