Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys we recently got 2 ft of snow here in south jersey, which is normally unheard of. tons of snow got in my car from getting in and out of it and i guess it soaked into the carpet and now it evaporates and collects on my windows inside the car. i was just wondering if anyone who is use to getting a good amount of snow had this problem before. and if anyone would have advice ahaha. thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,808 Posts
Keep the inside of your windows clean and you won't have the condensation problem(s). I find that many people often neglect to clean the interior side of the windows. Dirt, grime, oil etc would only aid in condensation.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
We have tracked snow into the car from boot tread leaving clumps onto the floor mats. We keep some old towels to soak up the melt.

The condensation can be lessened by using the Def which kicks in the AC.

I usually leave the rear windows down a couple of inches in the garage at night.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Have you got or can you borrow a household dehumidifier? Fold down the back seats, put it in the cargo area as far forward as possible, and run it like all night. That should do it...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
hey guys we recently got 2 ft of snow here in south jersey, which is normally unheard of. tons of snow got in my car from getting in and out of it and i guess it soaked into the carpet and now it evaporates and collects on my windows inside the car. i was just wondering if anyone who is use to getting a good amount of snow had this problem before. and if anyone would have advice ahaha. thanks for any input
That situation is normal with all automobiles. The more snow and moisture you carry into the cab from outside, the higher level of moisture inside. A lot of snow is carried by your shoes or boots, and the only way I know to avoid carrying it inside the car is by facing out while sitting down (both legs outside the car), and then kicking both boots against each other to drop the snow outside. Also, brush the snow off the air intake vents and hood of your car before you start it.

You must find a way for the carpet and mats to dry, and this will never happen as long as you park it outside during the winter months. I have Weathertech rubber floor mats (molded floor mats), and these keep the carpet dry.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Yeah, definitely make sure you run the AC while you're defrosting things.
I used to have the same problem when I was up north at school. The snow would freeze into the floor mats and I'd always have condensation in the mornings. The best method I found was running the AC and then driving around with the heaters directed to the footwell area for a bit and when you stop, dump all the melty snow out of the car before it freezes back up again.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for everything guys! sorry it took so long to get back to this but ive been busy. i used some diapers from the shop under all of my floormats to soak up the water. turns out i was the only one who kicks the snow off my feet before i get in the car. all of my passenger seats had the floor soaking wet from everything. in the end i handed my keys to a guy in our detail shop and he threw a powder down that soaked every last bit up and just vacuumed it out. everything is all good now but ill keep everything you guys said in mind for next time it snows. if it ever does. i need to move out of new jersey ahahah :icon_wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts