Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about these cars since it has been so reliable. Recently, there is a fair amount of smoke coming out from under the hood on the passenger side which seems to smell of oil (definitely not coolant). It is difficult to see where it is coming from but seems to be coming from underneath the coolant cap but above a flex pipe at the bottom of the engine. There is oil sitting on the flex pipe but I don't see any real leaks. I don't really have a great working area in my yard since a project car is sitting on my concrete slab, so I'd like to know if there are any trouble areas on that side in general. I am going to clean the engine up in case some oil was spilled there somehow etc.

Does anyone know of anything that would tend to smoke in that area?

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Do you have a picture pointing where? If you are referring to a flexible exhaust pipe, I can only think of that to be an aftermarket up-pipe. And if it's above that, it sounds like it could be the turbo/oil line failed.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a picture pointing where? If you are referring to a flexible exhaust pipe, I can only think of that to be an aftermarket up-pipe. And if it's above that, it sounds like it could be the turbo/oil line failed.
Please allow me a little bit of time and I will try to grab a pic.

Thanks

·
Registered
04 FXT 4eat
53 Posts
I am having the same problem, its seems to come and go especially with temp changing to colder temps. I will check my turbo lines as well, see if I can find the source.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
31 Posts
just had the same problem not too long ago, smoke would come and go, but got worse. It was the passenger side valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2016 WRX MT 6MT
95 Posts
I had that problem about a year and half ago.. It was the CV boot which is really close to the exhaust on the passenger side.. they just dry out from the heat and then rip.. the grease leaks out and gets thrown up on the exhaust… thus the smoke.
So get under there and inspect your cv boot to see if you see any grease on the outside of it.
I did not tackle this job at home .. I got lazy and took it to the dealer..

·
Registered
04 FXT 4eat
53 Posts
finally got around to this. 2 things on mine.

1st was the valve gasket covers .

2nd. oil drain hose on the bottom side of the turbo was leaking onto the uppipe. The colder it is the worse the smoke is. Once it got up to temp the hose sealed a little better, but I could leave it sitting for 2 days and start up would look like something was on fire under the hood. The PITA is that you have to pull the turbo to get to this hose.

Guess my vf43 plans are going to be moved up Im not yanking this thing off again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts