Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FORESTER XT CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Problem found in 1 week old xt touring with eyesight
1. Bubbles on dash board (two dime size on driver side and beer cup size on passenger side)
2. Wrinkles leather on rear seat arm rest
3. No gap between driver seat and arm rest lid..it stick together
4. Eye sight system turns off automatically when i really need it
5. Car shakes too much when rpm drops below 1k during warm up

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
Time for a trip to the dealer. Document everything and do the best you can to accurately communicate your concerns to your service advisor. Hopefully they will handle everything with little trouble. Good luck, Dave.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Problem found in 1 week old xt touring with eyesight

That is not a problem... it is simply due to EyeSight being a camera based system. I assume "when you really need it" is when you are driving in fog, heavy rain, with a fogged up windshield, or directly into the sunset or sunrise.

If you are having a hard time seeing out the windshield, so is the EyeSight system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is not a problem... it is simply due to EyeSight being a camera based system. I assume "when you really need it" is when you are driving in fog, heavy rain, with a fogged up windshield, or directly into the sunset or sunrise.

If you are having a hard time seeing out the windshield, so is the EyeSight system.
I understand that´s the way it´s supposed to work given the limitations with a camera based system, but that doesn´t mean it´s not a problem...

Regarding the other issues it seems to me you´ve got a lemon. I would return it and demand another vehicle, who knows what other problems you will discover later on!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
1. Bubbles on dash board (two dime size on driver side and beer cup size on passenger side)
I see the two with the coin, but don't see the beer cup one- it's not the seams of the airbag compartment you are seeing is it?
2. Wrinkles leather on rear seat arm rest
It looks like the hinge presses into the pad there, Wouldn't the design be the same on another Forester?
3. No gap between driver seat and arm rest lid..it stick together
So the problem is it fits too tight? It's too well made?
eyesight who?
5. Car shakes too much when rpm drops below 1k during warm up
You know it's a boxer right? too much according to whom?
I understand finding things that bug you about your one week old car is no fun, but I think most of these problems range from pretty minor (the dash spots are the biggest :icon_frown: but I bet they are never noticed by anyone other than yourself..) to nothing at all (Boxer engines move differently, like, um, boxers I guess. Leather trim is going to have it's own characteristics, and will probably smooth out and loosen up over time. Newfangled features are going to have limitations in the real world..)

it seems to me you´ve got a lemon. I would return it and demand another vehicle, who knows what other problems you will discover later on!
:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 FORESTER XT CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Problem solved?..
1.subaru technician from headquater will inspect vehicle within 2 weeks
2.placed order for replase for free
3.subaru just made like that!?
4.system shut off automatically when drive toward to direct sun light especially in sunset or sunrise..and lane depart warning does not work at too old,(cloudy,muddy) painted road line
5. Normal for new car

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Looks like a rough day on the assembly line!

The dash bubbles are a defect. You should let the dealer know.

The slight ridging on the passenger side happens right where the airbag lurks under the dash. Mine looks roughly the same, but more subtle. It doesn't bother me as I know why it's there. Older vehicles would have a big cutout and a hatch. My theory is that the new rubbery-squishy dash has a lot more temperature/humidity related movement, and this sometimes reveals the thin spot above the airbag. Another one for the dealer if it bothers you.

The front arm rest and driver's seat shouldn't be touching. There's lots of clearance on mine. I'm assuming it's an adjustment issue on the arm rest, or maybe an upholstery problem. Dealer...

The rear arm rest is pinched and wrinkled bit on the same side in my vehicle, but not nearly as much as the photo. I think it's designed that way to create some friction for the hinge mechanism, and to keep the fit snug.

Boxer engines impart to the chassis a distinct side-to-side rocking motion at low RPM. Again, I don't know what you're feeling with your vehicle, but I find it to be very subtle in the Forester compared to my old '04 WRX. Despite the company claims that boxers are smooth, you don't really want to own a Subaru if it's important to not feel the engine. Apologists (like me) call it character.

I don't have EyeSight, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. There have been a few complains here and there about fit-and-finish items on the interior, but your car seems to have some of everything.

Fortunately, the engine and transmission is made in a different factory, so it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
4.system shut off automatically when drive toward to direct sun light especially in sunset or sunrise..and lane depart warning does not work at too old,(cloudy,muddy) painted road line
Stuff that makes it hard to see with your human eyes will be even more difficult for the EyeSight system to see. You can put on sunglasses and lower your visor when driving into the sun, but the EyeSight system cannot.

I understand that´s the way it´s supposed to work given the limitations with a camera based system, but that doesn´t mean it´s not a problem...
Apparently the #1 crash avoidance system on the market is full of problems.

Maybe potential buyers should research how the system works before buying it and bashing it for turning off in situations where it is designed to turn off.

I do not understand what makes people think EyeSight is designed to drive the car for you when you can't see. It is called EyeSight because it works like a second set of eyes, but you cannot take actions to improve its "vision" in certain situations. EyeSight does not come with sunglasses or visors... that is why it turns off.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...tem-rated-superior-iihs-merged-thread-228322/

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Eyesight and freaked out the first time it shutoff on its own, did it again a few days later and realized I was driving west right into the sunset. Seems to be the nature of the program. If it shuts off on you at night you may have a problem but sounds like so far its normal, computers can only do so much

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I have Eyesight and freaked out the first time it shutoff on its own, did it again a few days later and realized I was driving west right into the sunset. Seems to be the nature of the program. If it shuts off on you at night you may have a problem but sounds like so far its normal, computers can only do so much
Should have read the owners manual first... then you wouldn't have freaked out. :icon_razz:

At night it does not turn off in most cases, because the headlights provide enough lighting. It still is sensitive to windows fogging up, rain, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should have read the owners manual first... then you wouldn't have freaked out. :icon_razz:
I have had college textbooks shorter than all the info I got with the car! Work in progress....the nav unit book itself should be its own course

Sorry OP, I would think the warranty would cover the bubbles in the dash at least, seem like others have had the same problem

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
My dealership took one look at the dash and offered to replace it. My current plan is to wait until almost 36k. Seems like quality of the dash pads is still iffy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts