Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kick in the pants that puts a grin on your chops seems to have gone from my Foz. I put a TD04L in a few months ago followed by an MBC set at 0.8 BAR a week or two later and the result was when the turbo came on at 2500 the front of the car would lift in the first four gears, much faster than the stock 99UK setup. A few weeks ago I did an oil and filter service, changed the fuel pump for a Walbro 342, cleaned the MAF and other than that, I can't think of anything else that happened or I did. I have since fitted a Harvey Smith EBC and removed the walbro because I thought maybe the fuel pump had done this, the EBC came after I noticed this had happened. The car is fast but instead of that mad lurch at 2500, even in fourth when overtaking, it's more of a smooth build up which seems to keep building (it didn't do that before, it levelled out at about 3500 and dropped from around 4500) up till maybe 4750 before it lessens. I have checked all the piping and I have a new MAF on the way because I have heard they can be delicate although I was gentle with the cleaning - switch cleaner and about 15PSI from an airline. I'm wondering if something has gone wrong/broken or am I better off with the new power crescendo, or just being a spoilt brat? Any ideas please? (other than opinions about me behaving like a spoilt brat)

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say in the above that the smooth build of power I have now is down to the Harvey Smith EBC, I think. What was lost before the EBC was the sudden turbo surge but also the delivery isn't that smooth actually, but I'm pretty sure it used to be.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,959 Posts
Given all your other little niggles, why don't you go back to the OEM BCS with MBC to see if you regain the "ummph" you used to have.

Changing the pipes back should be fairly simple to try out. There's no need to pyhsically remove the HDI BCS. At least by doing that you eliminate one item you are not totally sure about at present.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts