Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I really need some help. I have a 2008 forester sg na manual. And I my car was always quick and could make it up hills and what not. But now I struggle getting up any hill, passing people or anything. The car feels like it has 70hp. I’ve checked my intake, new filter, cleaned maf, timing belt seems to be in the right spot, tried some injector cleaner, new wires and plugs, fuel filter is clean so I just don’t know where to go. I tried disconnecting the o2 sensors to see if a change and no. Also trying to test catalytic converter but it all seems okay, I will pressure test it when I get a gauge.
Any help or ideas?? Thanks much!

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
446 Posts
My first choice- Coil pack? Check for leaks using a water spray can after dark. Got sparklies.... 🙂
Vacuum leak? Recheck those hoses and clamps.
Grounds? Visual check is not enough, scrub with light sandpaper.

Others will chime in.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying spay the coil pack to check for sparklies? I will go and check grounds and vaccums. Thank you much!

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it’s about time for a maintenance. But I checked it out and it looked to be in line But that is a possibility so.. last time I changed a timing belt it jumped and ended up having to be rebuilt. 😬

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,042 Posts
Did this all happen all of a sudden or did the power slowly degrade over time?

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@gathermewool It seems to be slowly over time. The thing is sometimes it has great power but it’s pretty rare now. The only thing that has shown up suddenly was an exhaust leak in the front but I’m not sure that is relevant

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
446 Posts
Are you saying spay the coil pack to check for sparklies? I will go and check grounds and vaccums. Thank you much!
Yes, mist spray with a running engine at night. If there's a leak you'll see the sparklies, and your engine sound will change too.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
My issue wasn't nearly as bad as the OP's in my previous '97 Legacy, but it did have some hesitation/stumbling and rough idling issues. When I spritzed the coil pack at night, there were some very small sparks evident. Unfortunately, I don't think the coil pack fixed the issue altogether and I ended up giving the car to my sister before I fully figured it out.

She then proceeded to destroy it...

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang.. I tried testing the coil pack by using my meter but my meter died on me so until I get new leads that won’t work. I am planning on checking for sparks tonight, do I do that while it’s running? Also I checked for grounds and they look fine. And all vacuum lines(that I could find). Look great. I also tried removing the exhaust after the cat just for fun I guess and no difference. I can’t get the cat off so can’t test that, I’ll have to use a pressure gauge but I also don’t really know what I’m looking for.
One thing I do notice is at high rpm and stepping on the gas it makes a loud hissing noise. Almost sounds like a turbo spooling But it has always done this. Don’t know if that is maybe exhaust finding it’s way out. Or maybe a vacuum line that is open that I haven’t found..🤔

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I sprayed the coil pack and I seen one little sparky don’t toward to pack but couldn’t locate it. But I definitely had many small sparklies all along the wires. Didn’t seem to be arcing to metal tho..

It’s not misfiring or throwing a code, but I will get new wires as soon as possible. But the problem happens all the time so I would think that that test only shows what would happen in wet conditions not dry?? Not sure but I will change those and tomorrow I’ll be getting a vaccine gauge to test vacuum and exhaust pressures

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I'm very strongly anti-vaccine-gauger. I've heard it causes misfires!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,941 Posts
<snipped> I will get new wires as soon as possible. But the problem happens all the time so I would think that that test only shows what would happen in wet conditions not dry?? Not sure but I will change those... <snipped>
Didn't you say, on your first post, that you changed the spark plug wires?

The water misting test will show if there is an issue at the worst possible conditions. The coil pack & wires should not be sparking when misted with water, so the test shows they could faulty... suspect. 😉

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did change them not long ago Is the thing. 😰Oh well guess it happens. I’ll just get some new ones. Odd to me that they didn’t last very long. Might just change the plugs while I’m at it...

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I wouldn't just throw parts at this just yet. I've got a couple of more question:

1. Coil pack? Don't you have coil-on-plug? If you do have a coil pack, then maybe try the following: with the engine idling (parking brake engaged), disconnect wires from the coil pack, one at a time, reconnecting before pulling the next. Does the engine run rough on three of the four, but not noticeably different for a specific one that is pulled?

2. Is your engine running rough or just missing power

3. How's your clutch? Could it be slipping when you're driving uphill or passing? Does it help if you're in a lower gear, higher RPM?

4. Timing belt: do you know what you're looking at, for sure?

My sister was conned into doing a timing belt job on the '97 Legacy I gave her by some sleazy local shop. It ran so bad that even she knew something was wrong, so she asked them. They told her that the timing simply needed to settle in. Yea, right, the timing belt wasn't installed correctly, which they made right in the end. Needed to settle!? :censored:

Anyway, I happened to be visiting one weekend and noticed that the LGT seemed to be running on three cylinders. I asked her why she was driving this thing around like this and if she even noticed it! She relayed to me the story the mechanic had told her a week or more prior.

I'm usually a calm person, but I immediately drove over, found the guy who knew about the job, questioned him and got bad answers, then, like a lunatic, started screaming at him, calling him sleazy, sexist, dishonest and a few other choice words! He didn't back down and started arguing back. Even still, he took the car in immediately and had the timing corrected soon after.

/digression/rant

1 - 20 of 54 Posts