Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000, with ~225k miles, last week temp spiked & coolant was way low. I refilled, and every driving day since I have to add about 1 qt+. My commute round trip is ~50 miles. I can't see anything obvious. No dripping below the car, no spraying coolant from hoses, radiator seems fine, nothing. The only thing maybe is I might smell something from the interior heater (upstate NY, very cold out) occasionally, but it's almost like I'm dreaming that I'm smelling something as it's so faint and rare. Any ideas why I'm losing around a quart of coolant over a mere 50 miles, with no discernible leaks or system breaches? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
Have you checked if it's dry under the mats? Could be the heater is leaking, ref. the smell. Have you checked the dipstick for mayonnaise (=water in oil)?

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am mechanically adept, are there any tools other than basic wrenches/sockets etc (I have ase & metric) required for this (i.e. specialty/subaru only) & if so anything that might be borrowed/rented from auto zone etc? Also- service manual suggestions- haynes or chilton (or other?) which is best? Cheers

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked if it's dry under the mats? Could be the heater is leaking, ref. the smell. Have you checked the dipstick for mayonnaise (=water in oil)?
good ideas I'll check dipstick today, & under mats thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,378 Posts
I am mechanically adept, are there any tools other than basic wrenches/sockets etc ...............
There are numerous threads here dealing with HG repair.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Check the Knowledge Base section... there's a how-to for head gasket replacement without removing the engine.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check the Knowledge Base section... there's a how-to for head gasket replacement without removing the engine.
thanks, is the KB section within the forums, or elsewhere in the site? I did check the dipstick this morning, no "mayonnaise" but definitely more than just oil in the pan; also have had comments amazed that there was no smoke coming out the exhaust. So off to finding out what I gotta do to replace the head gaskets. Is there any chance there could be an internal leak somewhere else?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Look around the headgasket area on both sides of the engine. The 99+ sohc engine generally showed headgasket issues externally rather than the internal coolant jacket-combustion chamber leak of the 98.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it may be much simpler...

fingers crossed- I had it jacked up this afternoon and drained the oil then went to detach the lower radiator hose, and found that the original hose clamps were very corroded and the one into the engine was partially broken, and a big drip of coolant was on the fitting on the engine AND some coolant was on the splash guard on that side... I replaced all 4 clamps (would have replaced the hoses too but Auto Zone would have had to order them and they are in pretty good shape for now)... so we'll see over the next few days. Hopefully I can forestall the head gaskets for a few months until warmer weather and more stable finances let me do those and a few other things. Thanks to all who weighed in as I now have reviewed a terrific bunch of online resources on here and on ScoobyMods for when I do tear into things, to clarify the Haynes manual.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
the thermostat gasket can also leak when it gets old, also leading to drips around the lower radiator hose where it connects to thermostat housing.

the worst hose connection on all the foresters i have had is the top radiator hose where it connects to the aluminum casting on the motor side. it can leak more than you think before it is visually noticeable.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the thermostat gasket can also leak when it gets old, also leading to drips around the lower radiator hose where it connects to thermostat housing.

the worst hose connection on all the foresters i have had is the top radiator hose where it connects to the aluminum casting on the motor side. it can leak more than you think before it is visually noticeable.

thanks for the tip I'll keep an eye on that too

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT AT
410 Posts
It can also leak from the oil cooler hose near the oil filter. Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
477 Posts
Is it possible that old upper and lower coolant hoses can leak a bit of coolant only if it's hot and not show any traces of leak? Mines 4 years old and havent been replaced. I have already replaced radiator and water pump in the past 8 months as those leaked already. The loss stop but a month ago started again. It was after upgrading my turbo, loosing a bit of coolant as per the reservoir level mark. It happens over a period of 1 week and I use the car everyday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts