Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just got this car for myself about a month or so ago after my beloved 2005 LL Bean Forester got into an accident at 219,000 miles.

Really love the car with one exception: The radio/infotainment system.

In two words:It stinks.

The navigation is gawd-awful and if I want to upgrade it I have to pay $195 bucks to get a new SD card. The navigation to get to and around radio/xm/bluetooth/phone is so clumsy and fraught with mis-touches. And don't even get me started on the whole DIVX debacle.

So, my questions:
  • Can I upgrade this to another infotainment system?
  • Will it work with the controls on my steering wheel?
  • Do I have to go with a 2016-2018 Subaru Radio?
  • Is it a pain in the neck to actually get at and put it in place? (I've built a LOT of computers and electronics in my life, so I'm not afraid of that, just the amount of space I have to do what needs to be done, moreso

Thanks everyone :wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Outback
123 Posts
Replacing a radio isn't rocket science; if you can build computers then you're more than qualified. There are a bunch of threads on this forum and on NASIOC.com that will guide you through it. Youtube has excellent videos, too.

Check LKQ on ebay for excellent buys on used radios with guarantees.

Have fun. You'll be glad you upgraded.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
180 Posts
Even though I have 2018 Forester I did change the infotainment with a Kenwood 9904s, maestro rr, SU2 harness I have full functionality of steering controls and STARLINK. Works seamlessly with my iPhone. There are instructions and videos that will get you through it just like the other fellow said. I imagine no STARLINK but you may have a telemetric I kept mine as I have subscribed to STARLINK. You may have to jumper the pairs of speaker wires that’s why you need to ask questions.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
crutchfield.com

crutchfield.com has car stereos, speakers, and steering wheel harnesses that will fit your 2015 Forester. Reading buyer reviews for feedback is helpful.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
550 Posts
I have the Pioneer AVIC W8400NEX Multimedia Nav receiver. Had it installed by a local install guy and I absolutely love this system. I think Pioneer has a rebate program still in effect . Also, I have all controls and everything that the stock unit had.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
We have AVIC's in both of our Foresters. They have been great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts