Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I 'm looking to buy a forester xt. I'm trying to find a 04 or 05. Is it worth the efort to ge a 04 and do the sti ecu swap? Or would an 05 and an AP tune be just as good? I want to build the vehicle up to approx. 300HP. I figure regardless of the year I need to do: Intake, Up pipe, Down pipe-turbo back exhaust, sti tmic, and turbo.

Also, how is the ride quality, harshness with sti struts versus fxt? Is it a sacrifice of road comfort to gain handling.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

Hey all,
I found a 07 fozzie with 5mt and the BIG sunroof. The seller has the sti springs, swaybars, Cobb exhaust, and Ingen? CAI. He's asking $15k Is this a goood deal? There is no tune on the ecu, and stock tubo, intercooler etc. Oh and its the rally blue!

Wes.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
I have the STI strut/springs on. It is stiffer, but it's not uncomfortable. My wife drives it every day and it doesn't bother her.

The intake and exhaust is really easy and of great benefit! I just put my catted turbo back on, and I have the SPT short ram intake. I have an 04 and I'm probably going open source for the tune rather than swap the ECU. The more I learn the less open source scares me.

We probably have real similar goals: Make it fast, fun and reliable!

My folks have the 05 XT. And I will say the cruise contols and steering wheel are much cooler, the AC controls look different, but those are the only big changes I noticed. My opinion, both are AWESOME!!

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Based on your plans it won't matter whether you get an 04 or 05. The STi ECU in an 04 won't get you up to 300whp so you'll be needing an Accessport or open source tune anyway, preferably by a pro tuner.

If you go with STi struts (make sure to get them from an 04 if you do) the ride is harsher than it would be with stock struts. It is always a tradeoff, it just depends on what you are looking for and can tolerate.

Definitely read these threads:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-go-faster-than-sti-cheap-8337/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/how-turn-better-than-sti-cheap-10696/

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
I'd say it will really boil down to which style you like more if 300whp is your goal.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I prefer the style of the 04-05. I don't really like the "face lift on the 06-08(?) model.

Also, How is the fun factor, tuning for the auto versus the manual trans? I haven't had the chance to own my own manual trans car, and my leggy with the 2.5l 4eat is kind of slow on the shifting side. Ad is there a "manumatic" on the 06+ 4eat? As far as I understand the fozzies don't get the fun in their 4eat like the LGT or the Outback ......(brain fart... the one with the pickup back.....)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts