Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a local 2010 subaru forester premium 2.5x that has a bad engine in it. it is automatic. the guy is asking $2000 for it. asked him what was wrong something about #5 cylinder is bad.
so a couple question would it be worth for that price? can that motor be rebuilt at all? or should a guy look for another 2.5x or look for a turbo version? what all would be involved with switching to a turbo version if it comes complete with turbos

thanks for your time
SubaruNOOB here.......lol

·
Administrator
20,971 Posts
G'day & Welcome!

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,494 Posts
Ofcourse there is a problem with cylinder #5 on the engine - It is a 4 cylinder engine.

2.5X is a non turbo.

I believe the 2010 had in some cases, an oil consumption issue leading back to piston rings, requiring a new shortblock or at least rebuilding it.....Not a simple job on a boxer engine.

Sounds like the car is scrap without a new engine and fitting - No idea how much that would run you.

Switching non turbo to a turbo engine is a massive project and probably cheaper to sell the non turbo and buy a turbo Forester.

Best to just start off with a turbo Forester to begin with ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i talked to the guy today again and he says it is #3 cylinder is bad?? so should i continue to look for another one or haggle this guy down on the price more an try to fix it?? how tough are these engines to rebuild or swap out for another

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,494 Posts
I would check out a few YouTube videos to get an idea how much work is involved in rebuilding or swapping these engines - It really is not as simple as an inline 4 engine.

If I was to guess, I would say it is likely piston/piston ring failure - Some of the older turbo engines used to suffer from this - Not so much the non turbos...... but the 2010 did like to consume oil via the rings.

Personally I would walk away but I guess it depends how many foresters are for sale in your area etc. If you really wanted to make a deal quick, I would be looking to offer much less and factor in swapping the entire engine or at least the shortblock and the time the car is off the road for.

Does the engine even run ? If not, no test drive means you can't be sure of the condition of the AWD system or listen for any signs of potential problems etc - It would be a big gamble....

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,703 Posts
How much time and money are you willing to spend? There could be far more to this than meets the text. Definitely a big gamble but if you have a few thousand to throw away go for it.

·
Registered
'06 Forester LL Bean
174 Posts
Consider the entire engine to be trashed, and you need a "new" one. Diagnosing and then repairing internal engine failures is going to end up costing you a bunch of unexpected money.

So:

- Find a price for an EJ253.

- Find prices for all common service items you'll want to do while it's out of the car (timing belt, water pump, thermostat, maybe valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, oil, coolant, etc.)

- Are you capable and willing to do the swap yourself? If yes, it's free labor but it's going to take time. If no, find a shop who's willing to quote you for the swap. Verify that they will allow you to source your own engine, or if they'll only work on one they've found (could be more expensive)

- Consider any and all other maintenance, cleaning, and "restoration" costs that might be associated.

Total your costs, and then compare that to a similar clean and running Forester at retail price. Is it worth it? I dunno, but the numbers will tell you flat out. If it's close, you might still consider doing the dead engine + swap route because then you'll have those preemptive maintenance things done cheap and easy instead of incurring those costs later when they're necessary.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
248 Posts
pass on this car unless you have the money and time to pull the engine after testing it to see what really is wrong, this can be as bad as a cracked cylinder ,meaning junked engine, bad valve, needing a complete valve job or as simple as a bad #3 coil ,wire or plug , i imagine the current owner knows what it is and doesnt want to put a lot of money into this car , . if you replace the engine, together the car price and engine and related probable repairs will cost you what a decent car would cost, , examine the car ,look for leaks, rusted out lower body parts, etc,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks for all input on this car. I was looking at at it cause my youngest son will be needing a car in a year 1/2 when he turns 14 or so figured with the all wheel drive and 4 cylinder. Would be good to check into. But after all comments think I will pass

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5spd
1 Posts
$2000 is a good price for a salvage if the body and interior are in good shape. But if you are going to hire this out vs doing the repairs yourself you'd probably be better off to pass or buy a decent working one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.