Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been out of the scene for QUITE a long time. I got married, I got a house, had a baby...

I am finally starting to get back into my Forester and I am looking for some upgrades. My old double din radio just crapped out so i am about to replace it, but I want to get it up higher in the clock pod area.

I remember this: Subaru Forester Double Din Gauge Pod Housing 2003-2006 : Subaru Genuine Parts | Buy Subaru Parts and Accessories Online

I was hoping there is a newer means to get this, $70 seems kind of steep after all these years.

Any recommendations are appreciated...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've purchased two of those. The most recent was a few weeks ago. It is pricey but worth it IMO to do my project right. I'm using it as a place to mount a Garmin 2757.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you happen to know if everything it comes with would be radio ready? as in the brackets it comes with would allow me to mount my headunit to it immediately?

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
The Subaru part number is H0010SA950ML & they ran around $65/USD when I bought a couple, so $70 isn't too bad. They come with the brackets needed to mount the head unit. :wink:

There is something you should be aware of... that POD is designed for '03-'05, as in '06 the passenger airbag monitor was placed in the clock display, which changed the shape & size, so it won't fit in the provided clock bezel. You can view my gauge POD write up here in my Member Journal to see what I mean: '06-'08 Gauge POD v3 - Part 1.

The '06-'08 clock/passenger airbag monitor can't just be unplugged, you will get an airbag light, meaning your SRS airbag system is disabled. There is a workaround, take a look at this post.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
404 Posts
shipping is $25, that also seems a bit insane haha
TBH, I ummed and ahhed for a number of years. In the end, I was surprised and thankful I could still get one. Didn't take me long to completely forget how much it cost me.

Or more correctly, it will still cost me! The version mentioned here sits further away from my finger tips, enough that steering wheel controls was desirable. So add to the cost of the Pod, there's the HU itself, replacement steering wheel, (and banking on the wiring already in the car) extra harness with SWC etc, etc! Aaaanndd, a new subwoofer, something to fill in the double DIN left behind under the air vents...

By "completely forget", more like I didn't want to think about it! :grin2:

·
Registered
390 Posts
On eBay I paid $88 and got "free" (right?) shipping. It arrived at my FPO here in Italy in no time at all. Maybe a week if I remember correctly. I had already purchased one a couple years earlier but I put holes in it to mount an electronic brake controller - a decision I later regretted. I had done a crappy job of installing a Garmin nuvi 1300 using Arkon mounts and I had tacked the brake controller on top of the navi housing. My wife was pulled over twice by base cops who thought it was a radar detector. That was the end of that! Imagine your wife coming home and telling you that the cops made her get out of the car in 17 degree F weather so they could crawl in and unplug the "radar detector." Yeah, she wasn't happy.

So I bought the second one just recently and I'm going to keep it intact this time. I've already put together a small box to go into it. The box has a RAM mount for a nuvi 2757. I still need to put holes in the box to mount amber and green passenger air bag indicator LEDs to fix the problem Bobby describes above. I also still need to wrap the box in black vinyl. It's slowly coming together. I'll put the brake controller next to the steering column on the plastic panel that covers the column.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it to me to have a GPS that appears integrated into a tidy dash, and a happy wife? Yes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Everyone. Brand new forester owner here. Just picked up a 2006 XT. I've had a few impreza and WRX's in the past - so I'm not a complete Subaru n00b. :nerd:

Does anyone know the difference between the H0010SA950ML and the DOUBLEDINA950ML? They look to be the same item, I'm just not sure why SubaruGenuineParts has it labeled differently.

Also, I'm going to pick up a Sony XAV-AX100 for CarPlay. Does anyone know if it fills the entire pod, or will I need a gap plate? Also how about wiring harness?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I believe there's only one version available here in the States.

The POD is double DIN, so a double DIN head unit will fill the entire POD opening.

How are you going to address the clock? :confused:

The '06-'08 clock/passenger airbag monitor can't just be unplugged, you will get an airbag light, meaning your SRS airbag system is disabled. There is a workaround, take a look at this post.

Bobby...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay thats good to know. I bought the version from SubaruGenuineParts. (Kinda funny cause I used to live in Bellevue WA pretty close to that dealership haha).

As for the clock, I'll probably just keep it connected and stuff it in the dash (due to the airbag sensor issue). The Sony XAV-AX100 is a 2-Din screen, but the main unit is only 1-Din tall. So there might be some room behind the screen to hide the clock/wiring. If not I might try the resistor mod. I saw you posted some information on it - huge help!

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
I have a local Subaru dealership that I use for service, but I buy my parts from Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl here on the forum. She's a forum supporting vendor & a parts wiz! Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019.

Tell her you're a forum member, as she gives forum members a discount! :wink:

Yes, you can stuff the clock in the dash or do the resistor MOD, but you won't know if the passenger airbag is on or off. :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh wow. That's a great hookup, thanks for the info! I'll be sure to contact her when i need my next part :)

Has anyone been able to tap an LED off the airbag sensor wiring harness? maybe mount it somewhere visible?

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
I posted this on a previous post, did you look over the thread I linked to? The last pictures shows the MOD with LEDs. :wink:
Bobby...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts