Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a lightly used '14 Forester for my daughter to drive to school with and it only came with one key. I was able to get a key made from a local locksmith and he cut and programmed it. The key works fine, but it doesn't have the lock/unlock/alarm buttons.

So if the car is locked from the remote buttons for the OEM key and we try to unlock it with the spare key....

In short, I was hoping that I could just buy a remote unlock fob and then program the car to recognize it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a source for a remote entry fob?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,759 Posts
The '14 comes with 2 integrated key fobs & a valet key. You just had another valet key cut & programed? :confused:

My guess... it looks like an '09-'12 remote fob could be compatible? If it was me, I'd buy where the fob could be returned if it can't be programed to your Forester. :wink:

As to where to buy... Subaru dealership, Amazon, eBay?

► Disclaimer - always verify any information you read on the internet, especially if you're going to spend money on parts! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
Call some of the area locksmiths and see if they can program the remote. It takes some specialized software and not every locksmith may have it. Since you already have one functioning remote they should be able to add another. Just don't lose the one you already have or it will be expensive

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,759 Posts
@Miker104 I read his post as wanting to add just a remote fob. He went with just a chipped key, instead of the integrated key fob that the '14 comes with. Now he want to add just a fob to go with the key.

I'm pretty sure that can be done, but it's not the norm for the '14... :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@2.5x_sleeper is correct, I just have the valet key. The locksmith only had the valet keys in stock, so I went with what he had. With only a single key, I didn't want to take any chances if that one was lost or misplaced. Since I don't need three keys, I was hoping to save a few bucks and just get a remote entry fob. Not the usual way of doing things, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I can get the integrated fob from the locksmith for $165, so I may go that route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts