Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I both love wine and for her 30th birthday i'm looking to plan a weekend of wine tastings, massages and hopefully a nice B&B or hotel. I'm trying to target Napa, Calistoga, Russian River or Santa Barbara. My budget is not huge so I'm looking for a good compromise between pay-for-what-you-get and value. What i would like from all of you are recommendations for one of multiple of those areas and information on

• Bed and Breakfasts/Hotels
  • Spas

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
I've stayed at Silverado Resort up in Napa area. It's not bad, almost like staying on an old plantation from the south when you first drive into the main lobby to check-in.

If you're down south, I've stayed at Apple Farm in SLO. Pretty nice, and super close to the winetasting in Paso Robles.

If you're in Santa Barbara, you can do winetasting in Solvang.

·
Registered
2008 FXT
80 Posts
If you're down south, I've stayed at Apple Farm in SLO. Pretty nice, and super close to the winetasting in Paso Robles.
+1..I live in SLO and study wine&viticulture at Cal Poly. Plenty of nice places to stay here and some very solid wines coming out of the area. If it were me, I'd start in Solvang and make my way up to SLO.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I ended up booking 2 nights in Calistoga at the Euro Spa and Inn.

If there are any dinner or winery recommendations for the area please let me know.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Vincent Arroyo Winery on Greenwood in Calistoga. Also Terra Valentine in St. Helena (by appointment only). Prager Portworks. Tra Vigne for dinner.

Those come to mind just off the top of my head...

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! That is very helpful as I don't make it up there very much and my knowledge is limited.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
Eric,

Not sure how many nights you are staying up there, but I'd check out the concierge desk to see what they'd recommend. Last time we stayed up there at the Marriott in Napa, the concierge was able to recommend a lot of new places we've never been to before. They were also able to give us a bunch of complimentary passes and also some 2-for-1's which help.

We've been to tons, but these are ones I would recommend:

V. Sattui - popular, crowded, and no longer free, but it's great for beginners of wine. Nice picnic area and they have a deli for fresh food, or a BBQ outside.

Arger-Martucci - recently discovered this place on our last trip a few months ago. It's family owned and the manager gave us personal service. Not crowded and wine was enjoyable.

Peju - awesome wines. The pourers are really friendly.

Cakebread - awesome wines too. Tastings by tour only, so you'd have to make reservations ahead of time.

Silver Oak - hands down the best Cab you will find anywhere. Only been here for release days, but I think they have a tasting room in Oakville that's open to the public. Definitely would go here if you have the time.

Frog's Leap - haven't been here, but I've heard great things about it.

And if you are your wife are into sparking wines/champagne:

Mumm - good sparkling wine, and usually have an awesome art gallery.

Domaine Carneros - awesome mansion to sit in front of. Good wines too.

And I'd recommend mapping out where you want to go ahead of time, or you'll be driving up and down the Silverado Trail.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Non-locals might not care so much, but I'd skip V. Sattui after Dario's ridiculous rantings against firefighters: Firestorm over public safety pensions | PressDemocrat.com

I certainly won't be giving them my business anytime soon.

Also, I highly recommend checking out the smaller, family-run and boutique wineries rather than the big, advertised tourist traps. Laura Zahtila, Goosecross Cellars, August Briggs, to name just a few. We used to do a wine tasting tour on our annual NorCal meet every year, and always made it a point to visit the places whose wines you're unlikely to find on the local supermarket shelf or at BevMo.

Oh, and if you decide to hit up Terra Valentine and Heidi happens to be your tour guide/tasting attendant, tell her hi from Gregory and Silke. She's a good friend of ours and drives a Subaru Outback!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts