Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a brand new 2010 Forester. Getting an Alpine CDA-9886 HU. I am looking for speakers both front and rear. I had Infifnitys and alpines in my oldd 2000 forester and was going to do the same but decided to see if anything new out there. One of my stereo guys recommended Memphis Audio which I never heard of but he swears by. 125 a pair. Any one else heard of these. I think it is the PR series. I have looked at polk as well. cruthcfield has buy one polk get one 50 off. Any other opinions would help.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
2 Posts
I just purchased the Polk DB series for my '10 from crutchfield. They came the next day. I will be putting them in soon when I get a chance. I got four DB651s speakers. I'm hoping they sound good with the factory unit. I'll take pics and review it when I'm done. Hopefully I'll get a chance this week.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
2 Posts
Cleaned out the garage and ready for the install. I just have to wait for the wife to come home from work.

·
Registered
'05 Forester XT
111 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Polk db line. I have had them before and they sound pretty good. I also had the Infinity Reference line, but they had too bright of highs for me.

Even though I still have the factory speakers in my '05 FXT, I purchased a new set of speakers for my pickup a few months ago. I went with the Pioneer Premier D Series, and I couldn't be happier. I'm just running them off of a JVC head unit, and they sound amazing. The highs aren't too high, and the lows sound great. I installed dynamat throughout the truck as well, so I know that helps. If I make any speaker purchases in the future, I will stick with the D Series from Pioneer.

I also had a friend purchase a pair of D Series for his VW Bug, and he really likes them.

I bought them from Sonicelectronix.com. I have made several purchases through them, and have never been disappointed. I have also made several purchases through Crutchfield, and they are rock solid as well.

I would suggest the Pioneer Premier TS-D602P

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
DB651S are $53 on Amazon (vs $100 on Crutchfield), which I think the SG gen needs for the rears.

Don't we need to redrill the mount holes for these babies?

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
DB651S are $53 on Amazon (vs $100 on Crutchfield), which I think the SG gen needs for the rears.

Don't we need to redrill the mount holes for these babies?
Although the Pol fitment calc. recommends the DB651S, the DB651 are listed as having the same dimensions.
Yes you may have to redrill the holes.

·
Registered
2010 2.5x
29 Posts
I've been considering the Polks myself (was waiting for Spring to avoid breaking door clips in the cold). Does anyone know why the DB651 speakers are discounted so much (discontinued, overstocked, etc.) ? I pulled the below specs from Amazon, it appears that the DB651 is actually shallower than the DB651s :confused:

DB651
Top mount depth: 1.63 inches
Bottom mount depth: 2.31 inches
Driver cut-out diameter: 5 inches

DB651s
Top mount depth: 2 inches
Bottom mount depth: 2.31 inches
Driver cut-out diameter: 5 inches

BTW, thanks MoxoM for the Amazon link.

·
Registered
2010 2.5x
29 Posts
Thanks neoshi. Looks like it's the DB651s or cut a hole in the door panel for the tweeter to protrude :shake:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yeah.. suposedly the 651 fits but it's hard to trust these online fitment guides since they all say different things. Crutchfield says it fits though.. just need to use the factory mounts and redrill holes. And then 651s for the rears.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
I've got JL Audio all the way around. Going to be doing an update soon on the speaker install. If you search update #1, you will see what's done so far.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
16 Posts
The 651s speakers at amazon are black and $54 incl. shipping. If you want silver, amazon charges $99 and ships from Crutchfield. Stupid question: if I get these for the front doors, can't I (should I) use the factory Subaru covers?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 4AT
5 Posts
To Lankya... Anxious to hear how the Polk DBs have worked out for u...especially with the stock head unit.
I went for the Forester Sub and Tweeters...car still sounds like it was only meant for AM talk radio. :( The tweeter highs are not crisp...and the sub while providing some presensce in the low end really doesnt have much punch. I had the same setup in a 97 Outback (stock) and it sounded great. The Forester seems to have the accoustics of a cardboard box...but I am going to blame those stock speakers for now. I would love to keep the stock HU...I like the look...the wheel buttons...and the ipod interface. But I question whether the 8 watt powerhouse can drive anything aftermarket. I already have to bring the volume up to 28 for normal listening levels... Why would anyone build an 8 watt head unit in this day and age... Shame on Subaru for considering this as an audio system.
Any advice for improving the sound system without replacing the HU is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
I have the Polk db6501 and am very pleased with them. They replaced a set of Infinity Reference 5030cs I had used for a few years and are a nice improvement - better bass, less shrill and overall smoother sounding.

I am currently powering the Polks with an Alpine 50 watts RMS X 2 amp and in all honesty, I would say this is the minimum power wise to enjoy the full potential of the speakers. Santa is bringing me a new Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-2 that is reated at 100 watts RMS X 2, but it's "birth certificate" indicates it produced 149 watts RMS X 2 at .02% THD into a 4 ohm load. This amp should really wake up the Polks and let them sing to their full potential (they're listed as having a power range of 10 to 100 watts RMS).

Based on this, I think you will be dissappointed trying to power any aftermarket component speaker system with the stock HU. If you plan on upgrading the HU/amp later, installing the better speakers now may make sense.

BTW, I used the stock HU with a speaker level to RCA output converter to power the Alpine amp. I like the ergonomics of the stock HU but sound quality wise it was still deficient - the highs were non-existant and I picked up engine noise that I couldn't eliminate. I recently installed a Pioneer AVH P4100DVD and it made a HUGE improvement over the stock HU/converter set up. Along with an Infinity Basslink installed in the spare tire well and a set of Kenwood coaxials in the rear doors powered off the Pioneer HU, the system sounds excellent.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
3 Posts
Subaru Tweeters and Subwoofer

I also bought these "upgrades" for my 2010. I assumed they would be easy to install, for one thing. I had the tweeters in fairly easily. The subwoofer required the help of an installer, which took the price up to a new level. While there is obviously more musical range, these added components do not impress. Also, with this set-up, many songs will cause rattling noises at higher volume, which I think comes from inside the doors. I have read there are two types of door speakers and my car is supposed to have the better ones. Like other owners, I'd like to keep the stock head unit. I have read that replacing the stock head unit causes the loss of the controls on the steering wheel, which is not good. Perhaps DynaMat and door speaker upgrades will get me where I want to be.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
I disconneted the stock "subwoofer" because (1) I couldn't hear it and (2) it rattled if I turned up the volume enough to hear it.

I think the best bet is to avoid the current factory sound system "upgrades" and put the $$ toward aftermarket components if you're looking for a reasonably good system.

I am sorry to say that the OEM sound system in my '07 Limited was pathetic. I too wanted to retain the stock HU, but in the end the entire system - head unit and speakers - had to be replaced to achieve an audiophile-grade system. Luckily I had no steering wheel controls to contend with, but there are adpaters available for most aftermarket HUs to keep them operational.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium 5MT
30 Posts
db651 vs 651s

Has anyone tried to install the std db651 in an 09/10 Forester?
It's hard to tell whether the clearance exists for the protruding tweeter,
but the 651 is supposed to have a bit better sound than the shallow version.

Any advice appreciated on clearance for the speakers front & rear.

thanks,
B

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
I also bought these "upgrades" for my 2010. I assumed they would be easy to install, for one thing. I had the tweeters in fairly easily. The subwoofer required the help of an installer, which took the price up to a new level. While there is obviously more musical range, these added components do not impress. Also, with this set-up, many songs will cause rattling noises at higher volume, which I think comes from inside the doors. I have read there are two types of door speakers and my car is supposed to have the better ones. Like other owners, I'd like to keep the stock head unit. I have read that replacing the stock head unit causes the loss of the controls on the steering wheel, which is not good. Perhaps DynaMat and door speaker upgrades will get me where I want to be.
Yes and no. I upgraded my hu and used axxess adapter and have all my steering wheel controls as it was. Btw I don't see a point of upgrading speakers and using the stock unit to power it. I had just enough time before my vacation to upgrade my unit and the stock speakers sounded 100 times better than of stock hu. The problem with the stock hu is that it is under powered so the only way to improve the sound quality is to change it or use amp with the new speakers or you just blowing $.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts