Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 17x7 rims off of a 2007 on my SF and im looking into tires because the ones on them now are worn out.
I currently have my stock 15s with blizzaks on the car right now so I dont need a tire that is good in the snow.
I essentially only want two things from summer tires:
1-Amazing wet traction
2-tread wear
I was looking into Continental ExtremeContact but I am not sure that will be the best choice because most of the posts I read where related to snow traction which I dont care about.
I would also like something with decent handling, maybe autox material if possible?
Also I am not sure about size, I could get 215/55/17(stock) or something like 235/45/17.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
good treadware + sticky + wet weather handling + autox? you cant really have your cake and eat it too!

you are going to have to compromise somewhere! a tire w/ long lasting treadware and wet weather handling will get left in the dust @ auto-x.... ive driven on my 180 treadware re01rs in every condition from snow, ice, freezing(these 3 are not recommended but i had no pucker moments because i drive accordingly) rainstorms, etc and they were REALLY good @ auto-x. i did ~15 events and DD these tires for the last 10k or so. i also replace my tires every season, but i drive the bejesus out of them. dont know if your pockets are deep enough for that. btw make sure you rotate them accordingly to last the longest.

for a performance street/autox tire there are only a few good choices if you want to be competitive.

dunlop star spec z1s
yokohama advan ad08
kumho xs
bridgestone re11
hankook rs3

link to all tests from dry to wet, track etc..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

since you are on a 7" wide wheel, id stick to a 225.

ps i see you live in staten island, where to you plan on autoxing? check out my thread in the motorsports forum for all local track/auto-x events! i love to see more fozzys out there having a good time, and i dont mind giving pointers or tips on car setup.

·
Registered
08 Forester XT
38 Posts
Wet Summer Tire

I have doing the same research and another one that receives high marks is the Goodyear Eagle Assymetric.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Continental now makes the extremecontact in the DWS (dry wet snow) and DW (dry wet) models. The DW looks similar to some of their older summer models. Might also want to look at some of the kumho ecsta summer models.

I run the falken ze912 for the summer. Its an all season but is a decent daily driver tire, definitely not autox material though.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good treadware + sticky + wet weather handling + autox? you cant really have your cake and eat it too!

you are going to have to compromise somewhere! a tire w/ long lasting treadware and wet weather handling will get left in the dust @ auto-x....
Yeah i figured as much. Wet traction and treadwear are more important to me then autox right now so what would be good for that?
ps i see you live in staten island, where to you plan on autoxing? check out my thread in the motorsports forum for all local track/auto-x events! i love to see more fozzys out there having a good time, and i dont mind giving pointers or tips on car setup.
Most likely englishtown but if you know a better place let me know.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
Yeah i figured as much. Wet traction and treadwear are more important to me then autox right now so what would be good for that?

Most likely englishtown but if you know a better place let me know.
the kumho spts are nice. 330 treadware, fairly sticky and descent wet weather handling. and they are only $100/tire.

etown's roadcourse is the best venue you could ever dream of doing an autox on. i highly recommend you check out one of those events! ill hopefully cya @ an event this season :Banane35:

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so after looking at the reviews im getting either the DW or DWS (ExtremeContact)
whats the difference between them? I see the treadwear rating is lower on the DW but will that actually translate into faster wear?
Also I am not sure about the size. I would like to get a bigger tire so the wheels look bigger and this may correct my speedometer which is like 3mph too fast.
Im thinking 225/55/17, would 235/55/17 rub?

I was thinking it might also be a good idea to get a set of track tires and rims when the summer comes around. I dont want to put performace tires on these rims because they are not wide(7") and are pretty heavy(24.5lb), not exactly track material. This way I will have easily swapable rims/tires for all occasions and it might be more cost effective because I will not be running performance tires for daily driving and wearing them out.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
744 Posts
Whatever the case may be, my FXT came with T rated Toyos. I didn't realize they were not H rated or faster and every time the wind catches me, it makes me very queasy (at last at highway speed) but it turns out the sidewalls are very soft.

I'm used to Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires, v rated for winter, and Falken FK-452's for summer.. MUCH better rubber. Now that I have this much more capable vehicle, it's got worse handling because of the oem suspension, which isn't too bad, but the tires are killing me here. :)

IF you weren't autocrossing, I'd suggest the Falken FK-452's as they were amazing in the rain, and quite sticky in the dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts